water level, where is yours? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
water level, where is yours?

Hi there,

I currently have an aqua one tank and fill it right to the black lid so you do not see space between water and lid. With a standard tank where does everyone keep their level and how do i know how much water to pump in to keep it there?

Regards Darren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:05 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duzzy View Post
Hi there,

I currently have an aqua one tank and fill it right to the black lid so you do not see space between water and lid. With a standard tank where does everyone keep their level and how do i know how much water to pump in to keep it there?

Regards Darren
Most of mine are about 2 inches below the rim, and i have to add Maybe a gallon every 2 weeks to keep it their, Ohio is Humid lol.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I keep mine where you do. I have an AGA tank so my rim is about an inch and a half. I keep the water level somewhere in there so that it isn't visible.

Fluval Pimp #3

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 12:15 PM

My AGA has a plastic trim ring and a built in overflow (reef ready tank) so the water level is always just above the trim line so you can't see it. My sump on the other hand does evaporate a 3-4 gallons a week.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I keep mine about 1/2" below the top of the black rim to discourage jumpers. This also leaves about an inch and a half of evaporation room before the surface starts showing underneath the 2" black trim. During the summer I have to top off at least once a week to keep it that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Planted Member

I keep my 55 about two inches below the top, That way I can keep an eye on the water flow from the bio filter simply looking thru the glass over the water surface.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I keep my water between the bottom of the black trim and the black rim that the glass canopy sits on. As for how much to add to keep it there....i don't know gallons wise other than by trial and error. I know about how full to make each container I use for filling my various tanks based on how much has evaporated....but i've just figured it out by doing, if that makes sense.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
One of my pet peeves is tanks in which the water line is well below the top; this obviously doesn't bother me so much with rimless tanks, but any tank with a top trim piece whose water line is below is terribly unattractive in my opinion. To me, it's the equivalent of having a big piss stain on the carpet. Im sure you can guess where my water level is kept...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 07:47 PM

I keep mine high enough that I can't see it, but low enough that it's not actually touching the glass tops. I've got the glass tops trimmed about as tight as they can be so I've never had to add water between water changes,
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to adamprice271
I also keep mine above the bottom of the trim and obviously not overflowing. I hate seeing the water line.

If anyone keeps theirs under the trim and you don't want to see the water line, just run a peice of electrical tape under the trim. Looks clean and unnoticeable...thats what we did at the LFS I worked at since the overflows were just under the trim.

Adam

125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

650g fish room. 15 30g tanks, 150g sump.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I, using the cheap black plastic trimmed tanks, like to keep my water up above the black trim, just barely below the rim.

When the water evaporates below the level of the trim, I do a water change and top off at the same time.

Otherwise I will forget to do it.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I keep mine as high as possible with out the surface adhering to the glass cover.

I have slain all of the Dragons! You owe me!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

So if i cut the slits in my overflow box to the hieght I want my water that should do the job then?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 01:45 AM
Planted Member

Water lines are like panty lines on a woman, you know they are there but you don't really want to see them.

46 gallon bowfront, Dalmatian Mollies, Swordtails, Otos
75 gallon Lake Malawi African Cichlids
3 gallon nano desktop with Betta at the office
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 01:49 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbob2112 View Post
Water lines are like panty lines on a woman, you know they are there but you don't really want to see them.
Speak for your self!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode