never had algae - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
never had algae

Hello people of plantedtank.net I am new to the site and have a question. I have a what most would consider lightly planted tank. 8 quite small javav fern and one moderate sized amazon sword. I would like to add java moss. My research tells me java moss is super easy. My question is what is a active pleco type that would fit my tank. The light is a aqueon floramax 15w. The tanks only resident is a 3 spot gourami that is 2 and a half to maybe 3 inches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 08:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
How big is your tank?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

20 gallons.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Which I know is a limiting factor. But its what I have.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Not pleco: 3-5 otocinclus (they prefer to be in groups)will clean glass, plants and rock, but they (and plecos) do no eat bba, gsa, or gha (black beard, green spot, or geen hair algae).
The only pleco option for a tank that size that cleans is bristlenose pleco (1). others will no eat algae or outgrow eating it.. or simply outgrow the tank.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I could also put a clown pleco because they only grow to about 3 inches. That being said I have never had any algae problem so could I add. 5 or 6 cherry barbs or tiger barbs. (Not both I know. But one or the other)and which of the two would you pick and why.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Tiger barbs get big and I believe are more aggressive nippers than cherries. I don't believe clown plecos will eat algae their whole life, think they have a diet change as they grow (but I might be confusing them with another... Would strongly recommend looking into it).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you, I recently ran across golden barbs? They are very pretty and I think are quite docile compared to tiger barbs. Does anyone have person experience with either cherry or golden barbs? Is this a question for a different thread?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The Fish subform may be able to better answer your question. I have 12 cherry barbs (4m 8f) in a 20g long with 3 otos, they don't bother the otos and just go about their business, they're more interested in courting with their own than other fish in the tank. Many people will keep male only cherrys, remember to get a school worth though. If you get girls try for at lease a 1:2 m:f minimum ratio (can add more girls) to spread the 'love', equal m:f or smaller female ratio will ultimately result in girls being chased to death by horny males. No experience with goldens, tigers, or other barbs yet.

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode