Looking at larger tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking at larger tanks

I've been starting to look at larger tanks. My BF really wants another reef tank for himself. Though I think it would be fun now that I think I've finally gotten the hang of it, to make a larger planted tank.

I've been mostly looking at glasscages tanks, I've always had AGA tanks (now Aqueon), but their prices are good, and I've heard good things about their tanks.

I much prefer a 4 foot long tank versus a 6 foot tank, so I've been looking at their "wide versions". I have space for depth, but not so much for extra length. I probably won't get another tank for another year or two until I get a job in place, but I want to start learning about what it takes to jump to a larger tank. In particular, if I went with a bigger tank, I'd want to go with a sump. I think for the price of a proper sized filter, I could make a sump, and a sump would be way more beneficial for the tank, especially since it would add more water to the system.

I really like their 95 gallon - 4 Wide 48 x 24 x 17 Tall, and their 120 Gal. 48 x 24 x 25 Tall. Their 125 wide 48 x 36 x 17 tall, would be a blast to play with, but it's a steep price jump, and it would probably be really difficult to maintain with all the depth, despite the short height.

If you had a choice, what would you go with?

I'd probably go with a predrilled tank, cause drilling glass scares me, but what would developing an overflow and sump setup entail?

Is it worth going for a sump setup? What are the pros and cons vs a sump or a canister filter setup? Whats the most cost effective?

Lastly does anyone have any advice regarding going for a larger tank?

Their is a really nice acrylic 100 gal tank with a full wet/dry setup on the rear of the tank, full T5 lighting system (set up for corals, would change the bulbs), stand and canopy, but the acrylic needs to be buffed and I've never dealt with acrylic. Is it easier dealing with an acrylic tank? I've only ever dealt with glass, and prefer it for the most part look wise, but are their noticeable advantages?

I want to research all of this first before going ahead with starting to buy materials.

Also would it be possible to use the 40 gallon long I have as the sump tank? Would it be too difficult to build a stand to accommodate two 4 foot long tanks?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 07:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You can use whatever size tank you want for the sump but if it is as long as the main tank it will be harder to hide it/fit it under the main tank because of the supports for the main tank.
I had a 30 long tank back when and I felt confined by the height so that 17" part...
it only gives you 14 after the sub is in there.
But the catch 22 is that you can't reach the bottom at the back of a 21" tank(tall).
So just be prepared to fight it every time you go into it if you go over 18" on height
especially on a tank 24" from front to back.
Then also lots of plants will be too large in 14-16" of height.
I suspect mostly due to cost I only have two 10g tanks now so I know about height/space limitations and not to mention proportions also.
I like the 4' thing too. I would go/w a stock 90g tank for me which is a 75g tank a bit taller. I think it would be more than I could handle to furnish it with plants etc.
Keep that part in mind as it CAN take a couple of hundred dollars in plants to fill one that is 24" front to back x 4' long. At least the lights are common.
I like the 90g because if I could do a large tank I would like to have about 4" of open top in there to let a few or at least a couple of branches stick out of the water and have some moss on the top part of it.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Last edited by Raymond S.; 08-31-2014 at 08:06 AM. Reason: more info

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode