ID help appreciated. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Bhu
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ID help appreciated.

Hello

I have this plant it grows from a bulb and produces babies which also have their own bulb. It has lovely green to pink Lilly pad shaped leaves. I'm trying to. ID it so that I can get further information on what it's best requirements are to grow. The only thing I can find similar is Nymphaea lotus bulb or the Nymphaea Stellata bulb but that is known to grow to the surface where as mine are all short stemmed Lilly leaves.

Any ideas appreciated

This is the first baby from it (2nd pic)
very happy with them
both and had them over a year now lots of new lily leaves but not tall stems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	363490  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	363498  

Last edited by Bhu; 08-30-2014 at 03:08 PM. Reason: sp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 02:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
it's a Nymphaea lotus bulb or red tiger lotus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Agree! Red tiger lotus. Fed well it grows and may take over a tank if not trimmed. Frequent trimming will keep it and the leaves small.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Here is mine

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Bhu
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for that. So it must be suffering from lack of food then... It has very low leaves and the baby has very small leaves.
Any recommended additives? I was looking at the neutro + range

Link is very funny strange the link is gone now... it went to an amazon page selling a silk variety ha ha ha
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 03:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

I just stick root tabs under it and the tank gets semi regular EI dosing. I've moved the tank from a co2 tank to a more lower light tank so it's struggling a bit, I get 1-2 new leaves a week. If you let them grow as they please they will reach the surface and start to take over. This is my hope as a lot of my anubias has bba from to much light. If you trim them constantly they will start to grow shorter and bushy. I've yet to have babies, but the plant has only been in the tank a few months. Congrats on the pick up, can't wait to see it fill in.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
My tank is limited to what plants I can use so a full carpet is out. Due to large African cichlids who don't work well with small delicate plants that pull easy. that leaves the lotus as a good one as it does grow super fast and has a good root system but it is not a well fully planted tank. The lotus gets all it wants in nutrients and goes crazy.
At one point I had trouble with holes in the leaves and adding a touch of iron stopped that. Once they get going and happy they form knobs like bulbs above the substrate. These get larger and form leaves and then at some point they break off and float around to find a spot. I find these get too thick for my group to like and wind up pulling them.
I have mixed feelings about the plant. Easy to let it grow but the trimmed ends are not really very nice looking. Grows good, maybe too good?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode