Nerites with CO2 injection - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Nerites with CO2 injection

I was thinking about getting some nerites from planet inverts. I've heard that their shells melt with co2. Is this true? I have a co2 induced pH of 6.4.

How do you think zebra nerites would fare in my tank? Do you think olive nerites would be better?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__
__
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (117/100%)
I will suggest to add some calcium to it.
I think CO2 is not the culprit, is the low ph water.

Maybe others have more experience with snails and their low ph. I have some in acidic tanks and if I feed them calcium they seem to be okay.

Regards,
Pedro
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have extremely soft water out of the tap, so I do dose calcium for the plants.

I should have phrased it better. I've heard their shells melt in acidic conditions, like those induced by co2 injection.

__
__

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (125/100%)
no nerites shell wont deteriorate if you are using Co2

its the absence of calcium and extremely low pH that do it,
if the snail is healthy and their is a good amount of calcium in the water the snail should be able to repair and maintain its shell

hey...my algae pearls
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I believe there is a positive coralation between shell deterioration and the amount of carbonic acid in the water. I have been keeping many olive nerites and have noticed shell corrosion in my Co2 aquarium and no corrosion in my olive nerite holding tank. Both aquariums have tap water that are 7.6 ph and 5kh. My tank with CO2 is 6.4 ph which gives me apprx. 30ppm - 60ppm of CO2.

Considering this is the only variable that changes my water parameters I think I can conlcude CO2 does or aids in corroding nerite shells.

One thing I have not tried is putting nerites in an aquarium with say a ph of 8.4 and injecting CO2 to a point where the water does not enter into the acidic continuum.

If you can run this experiment than CO2 may have nothing to do with corrosion but be an interviening variable that my help achieve the acidic conditions needed for corrosion to occur.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

From what I've read, I beleive the problem to be co2-induced low pH, and not co2 on it's own. I believe this to be supported by reports of people with naturally acidic water with no co2 injection experiencing shell deterioration.

We often try to get people to separate the idea of TDS-controlled pH and co2-induced pH, so that they don't worry about pH effects on fish as a result of co2-induced low pH. However, in this case, low pH is low pH, regardless of the cause.

A two tank experiment would give you very good information. One tank, like you said, with naturally high pH dropped down by co2 and still above neutral.

The second tank, naturally low pH with no co2.

__
__
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremendotron View Post

That was definitely worth reading. Very intersting.

__
__

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode