Filters and planted tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Filters and planted tanks

So I was just wondering... What is everybody's preferred filter setup on a planted tank and what looks most pleasing to the eye?

Canister, HOB, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 06:12 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
canister is obvious for aesthetic reasons; you can store it away from the tank and run some clear piping, but in some cases (like mine) it might not be an affordable option. I recently went out and purchased a new HOB filter which I plan to plant with moss and some other plants. You can find a thread here https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=170324 that talks about them and i believe they are really neat, what do you prefer?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 03:53 PM
Planted Member

Canisters filters are nice for several reasons. One, there are a lot of different varieties to choose from. They are also a bit more versatile, in my opinion, with respect to how you can set up the inflow and outflow. And aesthetically, of course, the bulk of the filtration equipment can be hidden away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon planted in progress Radion XR15FW x 2 w/Reeflink Fluval G6

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I have a planted HOB on my 20g riparium (aquaclear 70), have several plants growing out of it, at one point including: riccia on cut sponge over outflow, creeping jenny, fittonia albivenis, wondering jew, and pothos. The last 2 are vine like, low hanging growers and used to hide the side of the HOB from the frontal tank view.

I have mini cylinder sponge filters in my picos hidden behind blyxa or moss covered driftwood. I especially like the one hidden behind blyxa, aside from the bubbles its pretty much invisible. In the moss tank, its only hidden from a certain view angel.

7g cube and 12g long have ehiem canisters.. HATE the green tubing and inflow/outflow... really want to get some clear tube and glass inflow/outflows.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

While it may not look the best, I like the ease of cleaning HOB filters, and among HOBs I like Aquaclears the best. I see the advantages noted above for canisters, and I do run several canisters. I just do not like cleaning them.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
It would vary by aquarium size. Canisters, HOB and even internal filters grace my tanks to ensure that flow is consistent throughout. Its really up to personal preference.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Canister filters, because the paintball CO2 cylinders look so lonely down there. Haha :bounce;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eheim Pimp #540
Finnex Member #11
ADA Gentleman #6

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I really like the Fluval fully submersible aquarium filters. Had one on my 40 breeder for a long time. Only issue is, it looks kind of bulky... And if you have an aquarium bigger than 65 gallons, it's not gonna be enough filtration.

While were on the subject of filters, does anybody have any suggestions for a good, silent HOB filter that's big enough for a 75 gallon and isn't that bulky looking?

Last edited by Blackheart; 08-29-2014 at 10:14 PM. Reason: ...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 03:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

It is practical to fore go any filtration at all. Plants do an excellent job at filtering if you have lots of plants and a low fauna population. I look at it this way. When the power goes out like it did for 4 days two years ago when the derecho http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_20...erican_derecho came through a filter wasn't something I had to worry about. Worry less I say.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 05:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I feel you need the bulk to hold the filter media. My choice for a 75 gallon is the Aquaclear 110.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 07:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
AquaClear HOBs for low tech planted aquariums
+3 to Cheapness
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I run combos of canister and hob,
55g has 2 canister filters on it
29g has a canister and hob
8.7g canister
10g 2 hobs

I like the canisters due to the increased volume for media, each of control for flow and requires less frequent cleaning. hobs for the ability to plant them which gives the tank a nice look above the water line and gives me better gas exchange.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Has anyone ever tried out a Cascade brand canister filter? I used to use their HOB filters all the time and they were always good and very silent. Their canister filters are pretty reasonably priced

Last edited by Blackheart; 08-30-2014 at 09:55 PM. Reason: ...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode