Moving planted tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Moving planted tanks

Questions about moving your tanks across the city...

Over the course of the next month, I will be moving and all 10 of my planted aquariums sizing from 3 gallons to 20 gallons need to somehow come with me. There is only 1x 20 gallon and 1x 10 gallon, the rest are smaller. Anything under 10g is rimless.

My biggest concern is how I am going to be able to transport the shrimp tank as they're so small.

Additional concerns are the fact that several of these are walstad style /npt tanks, and all of them are planted. Is it possible to leave the substrate and some plants in, but otherwise remove mostly all the water and move them gently?

We have a hatchback, so we'd be able to lay them on a flat surface to drive the approximate 3 miles to the new home.

Fish and filtration media will be transported by 5g buckets.

How do you go about catching shrimp to move them, as well? While I have fine nets, there is so many and some are so very small that it would be difficult if not impossible to see them all. Is it possible to leave just a couple inches of water in this 20g tank incase any are left behind?

Any tips for short distance moving are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 02:40 AM
Planted Member

Don't even worry about catching livestock or removing plants. Just drain enough water to move the tanks and go for it. This is the way I've pulled it off several times for crosstown moves. With ten tanks and three miles, do it in several trips.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh absolutely, I do intend on taking several trips. I'm mostly worried about my 10g community and my 20g shrimpy tank.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 03:20 AM
Planted Member

Think about it. Thirty minutes with three gallons of water and zero netting stress or an hour plus of catching, roughly the same amount of water in draining, plus the re-set up time. Just drain, pick up, move, and refill.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
With small tanks, I see no problem with moving them after draining the water. Just make sure they're on a flat surface.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that, here's how to catch your shrimp..

http://www.planetinverts.com/DIY_Shrimp_Trap.html

I moved my 46g an hour away. No shrimp, just fish and plants. I caught everything and put it into buckets.. fish, plants, substrate, everything. But that's because it was a larger tank. I also moved a 5g, drained it a bit and just carried it to my car.

Josh
---
75g | 22g Long
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The 10 & 20 gallon tanks:
Have a sheet of plywood slightly larger than the tank.
Drain the tank as far as you can.
Slide tank onto plywood.
2 people carry the plywood out to the car. Leave the tank on the plywood.
2 people carry the plywood into the new location.
Slide the tank onto the stand.

The plywood supplies the stability to keep the tank square.
If 2 people simply lift the tank they might not lift perfectly synchronized, and this twists the tank, weakening the silicone.

Not so much of a problem with the smaller tanks, as one person can carry them, even half full of water.

Cover all the tanks so the shrimp cannot jump out. Cover them so they are dark. I know dark is better for fish. Not sure about shrimp.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode