Panacur Dosage/Camallanus infection - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Panacur Dosage/Camallanus infection

I have a 35 gal planted tank with Baloon mollies, sunset mollies, a rainbow platy, a killifish, a afrikan upside down catfish, and a blue crayfish. I had a Baloon molly show a bad infection of camallanus worms, I took the fish out and killed him quickly to put him out of his missery (been stressed and losing weight, to far gone to survive treatment). I want to know how much to dose my tank to kill off any remaining worms. I can get any dose concentration I need by tomorrow from a vet. I just need to know how to treat the tank to prevent anymore loss. And is it safe for crustaceans, have read it is safe, just want it to be confirmed. Thanks for your help and time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)
Use levamisole, worms disappear over night at the first treatment.

Fenbendazole does not work aganist last stage worms, even up to 200 times of recommended dosage.
Fenbendazole is safe for the fish, large amount wont kill the fish, so I tried 200 times dosage out of desperate, fish were fine but the worms acting like nothing happen.
From personal experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Last edited by Bettatail; 08-29-2014 at 03:49 AM. Reason: add
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The problem is Levamisole kills crustaceans, but panacur does not kill them, from what I have read.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 04:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Levamisole does not harm inverts. I've used it numerous times without issue and its really the only way to really get rid of these worms.

Angels plus sells a levamisole soaked flake food also if your fish are still eating.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay then, well I am going to email that Ink fella tomorrow if my vet cannot get what I need. I won't be able to treat this weekend since I am leaving town and I want to be there for the water changes, Epsom salt baths, and feeding them only veggies to help prevent impaction. They are all eating, but a molly is not looking to well. I think this has been going on a while, my balloon mollies kept deing off for no reasin, but now I know the problem. I should call the pet store I got my fish from tomorrow that they have a infection. Heard another kid today at the store talking about how the Internet said his fish had parasites too, so this is a bit of a problem.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got my medicine and began the first dosage yesterday. Have the fish on seaweed diet and have added 2 tablespoons of Epson salt to the tank (help the fish without harming the plants) going to do a water change on Sunday and re add some salts and in 3 weeks time re treat. I have a total of 4 dosages to treat my fish with, hopefully one of the fish who is looking poor will get better. Also I have API bacterial treatment, can I use that safely with my crustacean in the tank? I want to prevent secondary infection.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode