water change using pumps - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
water change using pumps

How does one use a powerhead to do waterchange? Pictures would help alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 09:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
For some of my tanks, ill attach a hose to the pump and put the pump/hose into the tanks then the end of the hose into a bucket which is where the ild tank water goes. Turn on the pump and just wait for it to get to the level I want and then turn off the pump. I would be nice if there was a pump with an on/off switch as I have to reach behind my tank rack to unplug the pump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Powerheads may not be quite as good as a real pump but they can work for smaller tanks where speed may not be the major question. Basic pump the water out and then pump it back in if you don't want to use a syphon and hose to refill.

For avoiding the unplugging, look into remote switches. At $10 and up, they can make it nicer.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Woods-1356...13569/21682986

Another option for controlling a pump that is remote like in another room is a tether that goes inline with a switch to control the pump.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Powerheads may not be quite as good as a real pump but they can work for smaller tanks where speed may not be the major question. Basic pump the water out and then pump it back in if you don't want to use a syphon and hose to refill.

For avoiding the unplugging, look into remote switches. At $10 and up, they can make it nicer.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Woods-1356...13569/21682986

Another option for controlling a pump that is remote like in another room is a tether that goes inline with a switch to control the pump.

hey rich link not working :-)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 12:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Small tetra pump with a piece of hose. Place pump in tank and hose in empty container. It's that simple. For my fry tank, a rubber band a piece of fiber fill to the inlet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinH View Post
hey rich link not working :-)
Works for me.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Extension cord with a switch. Large round thing that you can step on to work.

I use fountain pumps.
Pump gets it started. If the flow is down hill, turn off pump.
This won't vacuum the tank, though.

Pump to refill.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Extension-...-CORD/38472796
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 03:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Extension cord with a switch. Large round thing that you can step on to work.

I use fountain pumps.
Pump gets it started. If the flow is down hill, turn off pump.
This won't vacuum the tank, though.

Pump to refill.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Extension-...-CORD/38472796
awesome! water change day just got a lot easier! Thanks!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Lots of advice, what do you recommend a good economical "pump" to siphon water from my 100g tank?
I currently use Lees gravel/vac 50' hose and it is really slow.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 04:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
This may sound really lowball but for true economy as well as speeding up the process, I might look at some cheaper ways rather than a pump. A larger diameter hose or even a second hose will double the output but another way to get a major gain is putting the end of the output hose as low as possible. That all depends on how your place lays out, of course. But if you can get the exit end of the tubing or hose a few feet lower, it speeds it up a lot. The water pressure in the syphon depends on the difference between the tank water level and where it comes out. If you are running it into a sink and can move it down to a floor drain, you get real improvement for real cheap.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm sorry but this is just common sense. Hook a hose up to it and keep the pump in the tank.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The cheap junk from Harbor Freight will let you test the flow rate of different sized pumps, then get a quality one, perhaps Becket or Little Giant.
I have used both, and had very good service from the Becket product line.
For smaller tanks (under 20 gallons) about 100 gph pump is enough.
For larger tanks something around 300 gph is better.

When refilling I set up water in a rubbermaid garbage can with whatever that tank needs (peat, coral sand, dechlor...) and pump it in holding the tubing horizontally so it does not disturb the substrate. Smaller tanks need the smaller pump, even when pumping it up from the bottom of the barrel.

My property is sloped. There is one garden that will drain really fast (lowest point) and two areas that are sort of so-so. The rest of the garden (over half the property) is better reached by pumping, water won't maintain a siphon. There is some drop, but it is too shallow to work.

Often I will use a gravel vac to siphon, but just dump the water into a container on the floor next to the tank. Use that water to clean filter media. Then pump that out via sump pump and garden hose. That goes really fast! I use a plastic storage container that holds around 15 gallons to do this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 05:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I use a python for water removal and light vacuuming of the substrate. Then I use the python to add about 5g of tap to add to my r/o water. After that I use a small maxijet to pump my r/o water from my 33g trash can to the tank.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
If speed is the goal, take a decent size diameter hose and cut a small slit somewhere down the line. Shove another hose about half its diameter in the slit and seal it to create a venturi. Connect the secondary host to an air compressor or shop vac and you've got quite the pump.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode