Ok, finally ready to set up my 30g! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Ok, finally ready to set up my 30g!

I'll be picking up my 30g today or tomorrow from my friend's mom and starting to gt it set up! I have a few questions:

1) The only kind of planted tank-specific substrate they have at my LFS is eco-complete....does this kind leach ammonia? I've tried to search on here a litlte and i think the answer is no, but figured I'd double check.

2) I plan on using mulm from my well-established 20g, as well as some established substrate in the filter to jump start my cycle, and I'll add a lot of my healthy excess plants, should I add fish right away to provide food for the bacteria? Will it be likely that I can achieve a silent cycle? Or would it be safer to dose with ammonia to get the cycle really going?

3) Back to stocking options, I'm still thinking about going with lots of nano-type fish. But I'm wondering how big do honey gourami's get? I saw some 2cm little adorable ones at my LFS, but do they stay that small?
How big do celebes rainbows get? those were pretty little things too
and what about threadfin rainbows?

So I'm thinking:
Sparkling OR Honey gouramis (i know i probably can't do both)
Corydoras Pygmaeus (definitely on the list because i already have them :-P)
Threadfin Rainbows?
Celebes Rainbows?
Some microrasbora species?

Suggestions are welcome! I want to do little fish (with maybe a few threadfin or celebes rainbows as a centerpiece if they stay small?) to make the tank look bigger

Clean-up crew suggestions needed too

ALL suggestions welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
honey gouramis stay around 2 in, i've had them and they are awsome.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

2in? Hmm that's small for a gourami but I think it's bigger than I'm looking for, I think i'll go with teh sparkling gouramis.

Thanks for letting me know!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
praecox rainbows (dwarf neons) stay 2inches ish and are gorgeous they have a metallic blue/purple tinge to their bodies. so cool.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the input, 2in is actually a bit bigger than I'd like I think, but thanks for the suggestion. It look like all rainbows are out unless I go with threafins as a centerpiece (they're about 2" also, but i like their look better than the praecox, no offense :-P)

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Anti iwagumi

haha youre looking for tiny fish! kudos for not wanting to cramp them!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have eco complete in my 29g. There's no ammonia being leaked, but it may raise your kh/gh for a few months. Mines starting to drop now after about 4 months.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

yeah i'm thinking nano-type fish to make it look like the tank is huge :-P Pygmy cories and the like Probably sparkling gouramis are the "biggest" i want to go unless, like i said, i do a few threadfins as "centerpiece" (since the sparkling gouramis tend to be on the shy side :-P)

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:37 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post

Clean-up crew suggestions needed too
MTS,MTS,MTS and More MTS! Maybe some Olive Nerites for the glass if you can find them. Dwarf Crayfish are a good bottom scavenger but can be a bit on the aggressive side.

If your staying with very small fish, you could always add RCS.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm honestly not a huge snail fan, thanks for the suggestion though

I was thinking about shrimp though since i will be doing lots of tiny fish, should be a neat change!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Anti iwagumi

i would never set up another tank and not think about putting shrimp in it. even ghost shrimp. great clean up crew

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode