30 g tank in the works! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
30 g tank in the works!

i've had a 2.5, a 5 and a 10g, so this is a big undertaking for me. i'm thinking about giving diy co2 a shot. this will be a south american biotope tank.

i'm going to be using ada aquasoil amazonia, powder type. i found a light at big al's online. i also found a magnum HOT canister filter that seems right for the space i'm using. (small apartment, so space will be limited.)

my stocking plans are 2 juvenile koi angelfish, 6 cory cats (i am unsure whether i want to get pandas, which are my favorite, or one of the pygmy cories, please help me weigh my options there. i want them to have more than enough room.) i will also be looking into one queen arabesque pleco, a few ottos and some amano shrimp. i was trying to find online if the amanos would be compatible with the angelfish and the pleco, but was unable to find much. if anyone with experience in that matter could chime in, that would be great.

i would love some suggestions for plants that are lovely, biotope friendly, and easy to maintain. i was looking into aquariumplants.com's south american biotope package, but if anyone has a better idea, i'm completely up for a new plan. all i know that's set in stone is that i want some vals in there. i've not had great luck with them in the past, but i also wasn't utilizing co2. so.

i will have some small slate caves for the pleco, i'll be getting some mopani wood from a seller on ebay and i plan on using some stones from the ada site that i liked.

i really want this tank to be beautiful and peaceful. and i'd like your collective help in that.

thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

anyone at all?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
If you're making a South American biotope, why do you want to add african wood and japanese shrimp?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
If you're making a South American biotope, why do you want to add african wood and japanese shrimp?
i agree. try find something other than mopani wood if you want to make a biotope. i know manazatia is north American, but at least its American idk what type of commonly used DW is found in SA..

instead of amano shrimp use just otos for your algae eating crew. amanos are found in asia.

pygmy cories would be great and 10 would have the same bioload as say 6 emerald cories.

angels will be fine with otos and plecos, otos and plecos usually just stick to themselves and are out of the way.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

this is why i wanted some suggestions. i was just thinking about plants and fish as far as the biotope went. totally spaced on the wood and i just assumed i'd throw some amanos in there since they're so useful.

i'll check out ebay and see what i can find.

i'm pretty new to this, so cut me a little slack.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
im not trying to put ya down, dont worry, i love seeing biotopes

check out the SNS for DW. i think theyres a couple of packages for sale that would fit a 30
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127 View Post
im not trying to put ya down, dont worry, i love seeing biotopes

check out the SNS for DW. i think theyres a couple of packages for sale that would fit a 30
hey, thanks! i'll make sure to check it out.

i'm going to have a billion questions in the upcoming months, i'm sure.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode