Close Call - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Close Call

I was setting up another tank using some of my water from my 55. So I started siphoning some water from the top of the 55 into a bucket. I kept my hand over the siphon to make sure no fish got sucked up in the flow. As I watched the bucket fill up, one of my inquisitive Rummy Nose decided to check out where the tube goes and snuck right past my hand into the tube. Before I had time to react that fish went flying at what seemed 100 mph into the bucket and floated to the top. I quickly scooped him out and put him back into the tank to get a better look at him. He just floated on the top and another fish even tried to pick at him. I was about to throw him out when I looked more closely at his gills. I saw a slight movement so I removed him and placed him in a jar of tank water. Within a few minutes he was trying to swim but failing (swimming in spirals). I left him there for a short while longer and his swimming improved. I placed him back in the tank and he soon rejoined the school in a feeding frenzy. I know this is a long post, but I just want to remind everyone that fish can be really tough and to never give up on one. I'm glad I didn't - it took me forever to find the Rummy's in my area and I'm lucky to have very few loses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Lol. i had a 55g and i had a dwarf frog just jump in and it went sliding down into the bucket. I picked him up and put him above the aquarium and he jumped in. I was so scared i had actually killed him.

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
just watch for secondary infection from being bumped/bruised in the "ride"

75g 3 T8s 2x OD, XP3, pres. CO2,

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
just watch for secondary infection from being bumped/bruised in the "ride"
Already treated in the bowl with stress coat. I am going to keep a very close eye on him, or at least try too - they are extremely fast. I was worried at first because I thought I saw a crease in his side like he was bent in half, but I cannot see it anymore. Hopefully I'm in the clear but I will keep an eye on him. Thanks for the replies.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Behavior like this is ofter reported after a fish gets sucked, stuck in a filter etc. It's probably shock.

Pimp Club Member #313
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Thats one heck of a ride, it was probably a bit dazed!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottomFeeder View Post
Thats one heck of a ride, it was probably a bit dazed!
Ya the world's biggest fishy water slide.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I suck up my guppies all the time
little suckers are too stupid ot stay away from the sucking tube.
Its one reason i dont drain my tank with my python. (sucks cause i jsut got a 110 gal tank) buckets all the way on draining

- Join today!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
Your lucky it was a fish small enough for that ride. When i was little I had some of those goldfish with the big bug eyes. When my dad was cleaning the tank the fish got to close and its eye got sucked into the tube (no gravel vac attachment). I remember seeing it flying through the tube and into the bucket. The whole tank turned red. I was not a happy kid.

Generally if you have the gravel vac on there the fish (or shrimp) will not like to get to close to it and if they start going up with they rarely will get sucked in. I did have a stupid angel fish though that tried to go up the gravel vac. The thing was so big it got stuck in the gravel vac. I have to stop the siphon, pull it out of the water, and shake him out.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:45 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
That's ok want to hear a scary Distributor story? The Distributor that a certain LFS uses well they have a 4 inch Diameter tube that they Suck fish from their holding tanks and shoot them into bags, they do it on purpose!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
yup most small fish can handle a trip through the siphon tube just give em time to recover and they'll be fine
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
In my large tank I have some sparkling pygmy gouramis. These guys are curious as all get out, and not scared by much. They regularly wanted to go in to check out the Python tubing. So I used some nylon mesh from citrus bags and a rubberband to hold it across the end of the tube. No more worrying about fish going down the drain. No more hauling buckets, too! This works great if you're mostly pulling water from mid tank.

To help when I want to do some more gravel vacumning I purchased the extra long tube. This gives me more time to see what's in the chute before it goes over the falls. The Pythons come with an On/Off toggle switch near the vac tube. I keep my finger on this when I'm using it to vac in the tank.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 07:05 AM
Algae Grower

I was cleaning out a fist-sized wad of frogbit this morning, and I was being really careful and skimming the surface. I dumped the pile into the trash, paused, and then decided, for the heck of it, to look to make sure no fish sneaked in the net.

Sure enough, as I picked through the pile I found a tiny orange body. I had trouble picking him up but managed to push him onto a piece of paper. As soon as I flipped him back into the tank it was like nothing had ever happened.

He's one of our swordtail fry and the only fish who is missing an eye. We call him Blindy McSeesalot.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode