snails and plants... - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Conway AR
Posts: 31
snails and plants...

I'm so confused! I've done some research on which snails are good with plants but I've gotten mixed reviews on some snails. I have ramshorn, Malaysian trumpet snails and olive nerite snails in my tank. I have 2 gold mystery snails in my other tank that is not planted. The ones on my planted tank aren't eating my plants as far as I can tell but I've seen some places that say mystery snails won't eat plants and some say they will. IME they DO eat plants so they are in the non planted tank. Ok... so after all that... what snails do you guys recommend for a planted tank? My 2 little olives are having a hard time keeping the glass clean on my 37 gal show tank. I also have an oto catfish who is helping keep the tank and plants clean. Sometimes I find the ramshorn on the glass/plants but they don't seem to be cleaning very much. thanks!
nursemm05 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Guest
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 400
Apple snails will eat plants. Olive and Zebra Nerites will not and will remove any algae from plants without harming the plants.

For a 37 gal tank, you might want to get 5 more otos since they like to be in groups.
One Bristlenose pleco can keep the entire tank algae-free, but do need to be fed a lot once the algae is gone.
seAdams is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Anti iwagumi
 
chase127's Avatar
 
PTrader: (113/99%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 4,808
plecos will eat your broad leafed plants, like anubias and swords. dont get one unless you like holey anubias
chase127 is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Guest
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemm05 View Post
I'm so confused! I've done some research on which snails are good with plants but I've gotten mixed reviews on some snails. I have ramshorn, Malaysian trumpet snails and olive nerite snails in my tank. I have 2 gold mystery snails in my other tank that is not planted. The ones on my planted tank aren't eating my plants as far as I can tell but I've seen some places that say mystery snails won't eat plants and some say they will. IME they DO eat plants so they are in the non planted tank. Ok... so after all that... what snails do you guys recommend for a planted tank? My 2 little olives are having a hard time keeping the glass clean on my 37 gal show tank. I also have an oto catfish who is helping keep the tank and plants clean. Sometimes I find the ramshorn on the glass/plants but they don't seem to be cleaning very much. thanks!
I love MTS (Malaysian trumpet snails) And rams horns, never had problems with either, the apple snails however always die on me lol.olive nerite are also a great snail.
vance71975 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:55 PM
DementedMindz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by vance71975 View Post
I love MTS (Malaysian trumpet snails) And rams horns, never had problems with either, the apple snails however always die on me lol.olive nerite are also a great snail.

I have MTS as well and they do a good job. I also have ramshorn snails and cant stand them and I am trying to get rid of them. They lay clear eggs on everything. I am only going to keep MTS and japanese trapdoor snails.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Guest
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedMindz View Post
I have MTS as well and they do a good job. I also have ramshorn snails and cant stand them and I am trying to get rid of them. They lay clear eggs on everything. I am only going to keep MTS and japanese trapdoor snails.
that is true but mine seem to keep the glass pretty clear(other than their eggs) so i don't mind lol
vance71975 is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Conway AR
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by seAdams View Post
Apple snails will eat plants. Olive and Zebra Nerites will not and will remove any algae from plants without harming the plants.

For a 37 gal tank, you might want to get 5 more otos since they like to be in groups.
One Bristlenose pleco can keep the entire tank algae-free, but do need to be fed a lot once the algae is gone.
I'll look into getting a few more otos. He's a cute little guy and going to stay that way. I mainly see him out at night. I also have RCS and 5 German Blue Angelfish in the tank. I removed my cherry barbs and put them in the non planted tank as they were munching on my plants too. little buggers! haha

Thanks for the replies on the snails! Any other suggestions?
nursemm05 is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Saraja87's Avatar
 
PTrader: (15/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 776
Send a message via AIM to Saraja87
I looove my Asolene Spixis snails! They have beautiful zebra stripes and won't touch live plants. They love dead plant leaves and algae.

I also have some bushy nose plecos and they haven't touched my plants either but love my algae.

110 Tall in progress!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Saraja87 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Algae Grower
 
nugzboltz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 88
I have two nerites in my 14g tank, and they keep the glass spotless. You could get more of the nerites since they don't harm anything else and can't reproduce in fresh water.

The only things I don't like about them is that they become escape artists once there is not enough algae in the tank for them to eat, and that they lay lots of ugly white eggs all over the tank. But they sure are handy algae eaters.


nugzboltz is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Conway AR
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraja87 View Post
I looove my Asolene Spixis snails! They have beautiful zebra stripes and won't touch live plants. They love dead plant leaves and algae.

I also have some bushy nose plecos and they haven't touched my plants either but love my algae.
Where can I get those? That was one of the ones I read about that had mixed reviews. It seems there are hybrid Asolene Spixis that DO eat plants and you can't tell if you have a true one or a hybrid until they start chowing down.
nursemm05 is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Conway AR
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemm05 View Post
Where can I get those? That was one of the ones I read about that had mixed reviews. It seems there are hybrid Asolene Spixis that DO eat plants and you can't tell if you have a true one or a hybrid until they start chowing down.
shameless bump to get my question answered.
nursemm05 is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Saraja87's Avatar
 
PTrader: (15/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 776
Send a message via AIM to Saraja87
Sorry, I didn't see your reply! I got my pure bred Asolene Spix from Ebichua. He only breeds the pure strain, so no plant munching

110 Tall in progress!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Saraja87 is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Algae is over rated
 
lescarpentier's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tacoma Wa.
Posts: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127 View Post
plecos will eat your broad leafed plants, like anubias and swords. dont get one unless you like holey anubias
My Pleco has never harmed my swords at all,but I imagine that he would if I starved him.

Pond snails don't damage plants either,and if you have plants you will have some soon enough.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
lescarpentier is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome