THINGS in my water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
THINGS in my water?

I'm in the middle of cycling my 6 gallon tank, and lately I've noticed tiny things in the tank. I'm not sure what they are, if they're harmless, or if I should be taking steps to kill them.

I don't have any pictures because they're so incredibly tiny that none of the pictures turn out. I think there's at least three different types -

1. Tiny white grains, almost like sand, crawling slowly around on the driftwood.

2. Tiny round things that look like air bubbles that move jerkily in the current. I' not entirely convinced they are't just air bubbles, but they move sort of strangely. Also, I think I've seen them settle on the glass.

3. Minute, translucent, white, worm-like things that wiggle crazily around in the water column. I think they might have antennae or tentacles? They're too tiny to tell for sure though.

There are also some tiny little ramshorn snails, but at least I know what they are an how to handle them.

Pretty sure these all came in with the live plants. This is my first planted tank, so I haven't had much experience with hitchhikers. How worried should I be? Can these things be contained? Is it time to tear everything down, bleach the whole tank, and start again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 05:41 AM
Algae Grower

i believe that you will find most, if not all of your answers on this thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=40061

Let us know what they might be, but I believe what you have are mostly harmless (copepods and seed shrimp)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
#3 is probably detritus worms, also harmless. They turn into fish food when you get fish!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Where did you get those plants so I can "aquire" some of those "bugs" ?
The ones that move/w a jerky motion I believe you will find on that thread that they are water fleas. The worms are likely detrius worms. Free fish food if you have small fish or will have. Not sure about the other one(s).

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback, it's good to know that I don't need to panic.

The link was really helpful, Krabs! It's hard to tell, because of the tiny size, but I think I have seed shrimp and daphnia. Still not sure what the worm things are - they don't look flat like planaria.

Vanish, I googled detritus worms, but it's hard to make a positive id because the darn things are so tiny and wriggly. I hope you're right though!

Raymond, I got the plants from a local hobbyist. Her plants were very healthy and, apparently, teeming with tasty fish snacks.

I'm planning to put a betta in this tank. Do you think he'll hunt these, or will they be too small for him to bother?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The first tank I did a fishless cycle with had all kinds of little things growing in it. A couple different types of worms, daphnia, some insect larva, and a handful of unidentified things.

Once I put fish in the tank, they promptly disappeared.

I wouldn't worry much, with the cycling process, you are adding energy (light, ammonia), and developing a tiny little ecosystem. light is growing plants and algae, ammonia is feeding bacteria, algae and bacteria are being eaten by various worms and microorganisms, which in turn are being eaten by slightly bigger (but still really tiny) organisms, etc.

They are currently getting big and plentiful enough that you notice them, but that's only because there is nothing to prey on them (fish).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode