Making A Tree - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Making A Tree

I have heard a lot about trees in aquariums and i'd like to make a scene with a tree. For all those Filipe Oliveira lovers (me included) i am not trying to copy/recreate one of his scenes, just make something nice. So since i've go that out of the way i can start with my question.

How would you make a good looking tree in a 3g aquarium? Can i just boil any kind of dried wood or is there a certain type of wood that i can use? What is the best moss for the job? What moss would look the best for it? How can i tell if i've done a good job?

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 08:46 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
I wouldnt just use any type of wood, try to find a good hardwood As for the moss, it depends on the look you want. Willow- weeping moss pine- christmass moss wild bush-java moss
Those are just some examples. There are many types of mosses that can create different looks

-Chris

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

What kind of woods are hardwoods? and what would i be able to find locally?

Clwatkins10
you always seem to be the first one who comes through first, thats and extra thanks lol at the "avatar?" my nickname used to be johnny bravo.

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:01 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Ive used oak harvested from my yard with no ill effects. Its is light colored for a while, then it starts to darken nicely. As for "how can I tell if I've done a good job?" if you like it, then youve done a good job

-Chris

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks. I searched up hardwood and i got results such as oak and birch. i'm off to harvest (still need ideas on the moss )

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
willow moss would look cool
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Chris127
willow moss or the tree willow?

I've decided i want it to look like a weeping willow, so should i use weeping moss? (Like clwatkins10 said)
For making a bush what kind of moss should i use? Java moss? (also suggested by clwatkins10)
So would i boil the twigs before i put them in the aquarium?
And can i use hot glue to stick them together? or should i use the aquarium safe silicone (the glued part would go under the sand).

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:05 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Boil the wood. Arrang the sticks as desire, then use zip ties, dont use hot glue, and silicone would lose its hold after a while. I would go with weeping moss if I wanted it to look like a weeping willow

-Chris

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
hot glue falls apart under water - i know from experience. use some silicon
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks i will try and find zip ties (so i don't have to go out and buy silicone)
How can i tell if the wood is done boiling?

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Send a message via AIM to resowner92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSerpant View Post
Thanks i will try and find zip ties (so i don't have to go out and buy silicone)
How can i tell if the wood is done boiling?
if it is floating it needs more time, if it sinks all done

Neil

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSerpant View Post
Chris127
willow moss or the tree willow?

I've decided i want it to look like a weeping willow, so should i use weeping moss? (Like clwatkins10 said)Check
For making a bush what kind of moss should i use? Java moss? (also suggested by clwatkins10)
So would i boil the twigs before i put them in the aquarium? Check
And can i use hot glue to stick them together? or should i use the aquarium safe silicone (the glued part would go under the sand).Check
Only One more question to answer before i get into action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by resowner92 View Post
if it is floating it needs more time, if it sinks all done
okay. Thank you.

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:39 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

to make a bush, you can use any kind of moss really, java moss would just make it look like a wild untamed bush

-Chris

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Oh i guess i don't want java moss, lol. maybe i'll do some research on my own...
Well i climbed and oak and came back with some branches. Brought them home and then tied them together. Oh and how would you attach the moss to the branches so that they end up sticking? This is the final result. (i will boil them and put them in the aquarium after supper (then look in my shrimp thread) but here are the pics of the tree branches.

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 11:12 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

I would remove the bark from those twigs It might be easier after you boil them
After you have the bark removed, boil them a 2nd time just in case

-Chris

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode