Java Moss Problems - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (8/100%)
Java Moss Problems

Ok i have Java moss issues. I took it out of my 55g because i swear its the tank of death for plants, but it just doesn't do well no matter WHAT tank i put it in. I have a ULTRA low tech, 1 watt per gal, no ferts no co2. In that tank it browns. i have a low tech 10g 2wpg no ferts, in that tank it browns, I have a high tech 10g 4 wpg, DIY CO2, Every other day fert dosing, and guess what in that tank it browns, WHAT THE HECK does it take to grow java moss without it turning brown???? I ran out on my test kit so i cant post numbers right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vance71975 View Post
Ok i have Java moss issues. I took it out of my 55g because i swear its the tank of death for plants, but it just doesn't do well no matter WHAT tank i put it in. I have a ULTRA low tech, 1 watt per gal, no ferts no co2. In that tank it browns. i have a low tech 10g 2wpg no ferts, in that tank it browns, I have a high tech 10g 4 wpg, DIY CO2, Every other day fert dosing, and guess what in that tank it browns, WHAT THE HECK does it take to grow java moss without it turning brown???? I ran out on my test kit so i cant post numbers right now.
Java Moss has to be tied to rock or driftwood. Planting it in the substrate would cause it to brown.

Can't think of anything else...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimini07 View Post
Java Moss has to be tied to rock or driftwood. Planting it in the substrate would cause it to brown.

Can't think of anything else...
Its not planted its free floating in the tank

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
What is your water temp? Moss prefers cooler water.
How long did you give it in each tank? Most plants take a period of adjustment but I think moss takes even longer before it really responds and greens up.

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
But java moss also does fine in warmer water. Maybe that particular moss is just [censored][censored][censored][censored]ty moss?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Club Member #313
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
What is your water temp? Moss prefers cooler water.
How long did you give it in each tank? Most plants take a period of adjustment but I think moss takes even longer before it really responds and greens up.
Well the avg temp, is about 78 to 84 depending on the tank, How long of a period to "Green Up"? it was in the warmest tank for about 2 weeks, no change didn't get worse or better looking.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
The best way (for me) to grow java moss is pretty simple: Tie it down and forget about it.
Moss takes awhile to get adjusted to your tank and even longer to start showing some growth. Mine was in a low-tech tank with no CO2, no anything for a month before it showed any signs of growth. And mine turned brown at first too. Just give it some time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
haha, all my moss died, i think the other plants just ate up all the neuts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

I was just thinking maybe there was something i should be dosing that im not.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 12:39 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
SAE sometimes eat moss, I'm assuming you dont have them in your 10 gallon tanks though....

-Chris

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:07 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Take a look at this site, I had some trouble as well until I began reviewing his techniques in tying the moss to different items. (Tying it is the secret!!) The key is to use a little...A few golf ball size species of mosses can be used to scape a whole tank. I am amazed at how well mine has taken off Finally looks like it should...Nice and tight without being all "leggy"
http://www.aquarminy.yoyo.pl/ang/start.html

Look under articles for tying techniques

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode