Need some suggestions on background plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need some suggestions on background plants

Hi there,
I think my tank has finally stabilized enough to think about adding a few plants. it's been up and running for about 7 months now, and have gone through the cyano, the diatoms, the dead fish...

I've been through the whole Plant Profile list and can't decide what to do for some plant background plants. I have low-medium light with very small gravel substrate, temperature is about 74 degree F. no CO2, occasional fertilizing of water column(once a month). All of my root plants I have been placing in cut off Evian quart bottles with the same gravel substrate and a Osmocote tab.

I have a 17 gallon that is about 14" high only so the really tall ones might not work for me...was thinking some Vals or Sag, grassy looking, but not too tall?? included a picture: I've got an Anubias on driftwood, a Java fern, two Crypt, luteal, a couple of Marimo moss balls and a bunch of Java Moss I am going to phase out as soon as I get a little more plant coverage. In the meantime, I'm going to get some Hornwort to fill it out until plants grow in and to help with Nitrates. so... suggestions?

Sorry, lights are out when the pic was taken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hi, anyone?
would really love some feedback... thanks!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 06:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

A background of jungle val works for many setups and is quite low maintenance; get the type that doesn't grow that tall. Since your crypts are doing alright; you can try growing more of them; they come in many colors and sizes, so you should have some variety to work with. Adding more plants will help with algae issues as the plants compete with the algae for nutrients~ You can add java fern around the wood to make it more natural looking as well

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode