Adding O2 at night inline - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Adding O2 at night inline

I've been trying to figure out a way to make sure my water degasses at night. I've previously run a Koralia near the surface 24/7 causing a nice ripple, but doing so I have low flow along the bottom of the tank and my star repens and downoi have been developing slight BBA. I decided I need to move the koralia lower for more flow there. Doing that I've lost my surface ripple and my tank wasn't degassing properly.

I did some reading here and cam across one of Tom's posts talking about using a reducing tee inline with an airpump at night. I think this will definitely work in my case, but now my question is with the surface. Do I need a ripple? I have an eheim skimmer 350 that runs every 4 hours to reduce scum. This will cause an hour of minimal ripple. Should I have more, is it really that important? I'd rather not add a small HOB to get this ripple since it's rimless and I'm trying to keep it as clean looking as possible, but I will if it will benefit the tank.

Any tips or insight is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Two suggestions-

1- Add a second powerhead, which is what I'm probably going to do.

2- Add an air pump on a timer.

I think a second powerhead will provide additional flow in the lower reaches of the tank and you'll maintain good water circulation throughout the system. An air pump is more of a one tick pony- degas the tank at night.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My 46g has lots of flow with two 2315's and a pump for running the in-line diffuser through. I also use a timed air pump to degas in the off CO2 hours. An important question is whether your tank has a lid and how well does the lid seal. Your tank will only degas well if the air in contact with the water it does not have a high component of CO2 in it. A well sealed lid will create that and needs to be flushed with air from the outside. Since I see it as a distinct advantage to be able to maintain the CO2 levels during the light periods then the air pump is a necessity.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the replies. My tank is rimless. No lid.

How do your fish handle the extra flow from another powered or second filter? I can't imagine another added to my tank honestly. With my one Koralia and my fluval 406 there is definitely enough flow. I just had it pointed the up versus now previously. I worry my apistos would be really unhappy with way more flow.

That's the reason I was going to do the air pump plumbed into my return line. This will add plenty of o2 at night without adding another pump or filter.

The hob was an idea of option for my ripple up top. I figured a small one would suffice if needed.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Planted Member

My SWAG (scientific wild a** guess) is there are going to be enough diversions in the tank that excessive flow won't be a problem.

My 36 bow has a big piece of driftwood with Anubias all over it that stops a lot of water flow in the bottom third of the tank. Additionally, my rainbows and other fish seem to really like the flow in the upper reaches of the tank.

Edit to add-

I plan on positioning as follows-

Spraybar on the left side of the tank, water blowing from left to right, some surface agitation.
1 Koralia Nano powerhead pushing water from the top back left corner of the tank to the top front right corner of the tank, angled up, providing more surface agitation agitation and promoting a flow loop that helps push detritus to the filter intake
1 Koralia Nano powerhead purshing water from the back left corner of the tank to the bottom right corner of the tank, helping prevent dead spots along the backside of the aquarium- an area riddled with dead spots

The newer powerheads are great, as they're far less concentrated that the older models. Plus, they're small enough that they aren't nearly as distracting. Finally, in my tank at least, the flow is still pretty gentle.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaky Filter View Post
My SWAG (scientific wild a** guess) is there are going to be enough diversions in the tank that excessive flow won't be a problem.

My 36 bow has a big piece of driftwood with Anubias all over it that stops a lot of water flow in the bottom third of the tank. Additionally, my rainbows and other fish seem to really like the flow in the upper reaches of the tank.
I agree with this completely, but there will definitely be areas where the current is strong before it hits anything. I have an iwagumi style tank so not much in the way of objects to break up the flow, just a few seiryu stones.

I'll play around with this. I have a Koralia 240 in there now, but have a 425 also. Maybe I'll try the 425 near the surface, but aimed down near the front glass. This could agitate the surface and still provide flow to the carpet.

Maybe I won't have to plumb the airline, though I may still. Decisions, decisions....

Last edited by bsantucci; 08-25-2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: iwagumi
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Algae Grower

is there actually a need to degas at night

I switch my co2 off with a timer 1 hour before lights off ..i dont degas and never found a problem...is my tank in danger?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Millar View Post
is there actually a need to degas at night

I switch my co2 off with a timer 1 hour before lights off ..i dont degas and never found a problem...is my tank in danger?
Your tank definitely should degas. Maybe you have enough agitation it does it w/o the need to do anything else.

As a test last night I did not have any surface ripple like normal. My daytime pH drops to 6.2 from my co2. At night when I have agitation it raises to 7.3 or so. Last night w/o any agitation my pH only rose back to 6.45. So in my case, there isn't sufficient degassing happening.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Just to follow up on my own post I tried switching pumps. I took the koralia 240 out and put my 425 in. I have it near the surface but pointing down and at the front glass....this is creating more current across the floor and still agitating the surface. It allowed my tank to degas properly, but I still have a dead spot in the one corner just below it.

I have no idea how to get the current to move all corners. I can see my co2 bubbles moving in that corner, just not at the pace they move in the rest of the tank...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode