Tank on the Floor? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Tank on the Floor?

I'd like to setup an aquarium on the floor. Any thoughts on how I should go about doing this? My main concerns are leveling the tank and getting canister filters to work.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has done this and what other things I might need to deal with and take care of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 01:02 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Is your floor that much out of level. Easy to check then decide if its a problem. As far as the filter, I have my eheim classic on the same plane as the bottom of the tank with no problems.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 01:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Its hard, doing water changes. Unless you have fish/a scape thats nice to look at from the top and / or like kneeling and laying down to see, Id suggest against it. At least raise it so you can get a lil stool to see. Always looking from the top hurts my eyes and lights create reflections. You can never get a good view from the top for aquariums. Ponds, a different story.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 01:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I've always wanted to put a tank on the ground. Make it into a coffee table or something. We've all seen those on the internet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	table.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	361698  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I'd be so terrified of kicking or dropping something (mug perhaps) into/onto it and breaking it. Also with cats the fish would never get peace.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I'd be so terrified of kicking or dropping something (mug perhaps) into/onto it and breaking it. Also with cats the fish would never get peace.
I took my aquariums down once I got cats. Aquariums were supposed to have a calming affect but with the cats jumping into the glass, walking on the canopy, and scratching up the cabinets the stress level went way up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acro View Post
I'd like to setup an aquarium on the floor. Any thoughts on how I should go about doing this? My main concerns are leveling the tank and getting canister filters to work.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has done this and what other things I might need to deal with and take care of.
I'd just build a small ~4" tall base out of plywood and 2x4s rather than putting it directly on the ground. That'll also help, to an extent, with accidental kicks, since toes would have to be a ~4" higher before touching glass.

Canisters should have no problem functioning... if anything, their job will be easier than usual since they won't have to pump the water quite as far up.

All that said, I agree that top down viewing is far from optimal, unless you have some sort of semi-sealed design (like the Fluval Edge) where the glass top contacts the water so you can see in clearly. But then you end up with all the maintenance hassles of the Edge, and all the gas exchange issues.

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|

Last edited by kman; 08-26-2014 at 12:59 AM. Reason: clarify
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 12:14 AM
Algae Grower

The only worry I would have with a tank on the ground is all the weight in one spot. Depending on tank size 55+ is a no go anything heavier than your average person is a no for me. Without the stand of some kind or something under it to spread the weigh if your floor isn't hard wood or you have a basement with I beams under it.. or you know the supports in the house (I even sit my 75 gallon on supports with a stand). Even with the stand the base area is maybe at most 1" bigger but the distance from the bottom of the stand to the bottom of the tank the weight is spread evenly if it's built right and each side holds a fraction of weight.

I'm probably overly worried about it but i'd just like to be safe. So depending on the size I'd advise cardboard, foam, or something soft and padded evenly cut under the tank or even just laying enough 2x4s or equal board in length under it to make a platform.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode