Anyone else agonize over tank size? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone else agonize over tank size?

Anyone else agonize over tank size?

Every time I go into aquarium project mode I seriously agonize over tank dimensions. This hobby represents a large enough cash outlay that I get very concerned over making the "right" decision, especially when considering going to a high end setup. weighing tastes (more bigger, nicer) against the reality of my living situation (still renting and don't see that changing for 5years) sucks...

Nothing ruins a passion faster than realistic limitations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My limit is my bedroom, can't fit anything bigger then a 16g in there! Its emotional.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Know your limit.. hobby within it

Hhaha, i started with a 6G, than a 12G, than another 5G, than an 84G.. and some 10G's.. endless.. Now i bout a 24G long so that i can consolidate my 4x10g and 5G shrimp into one.. my goal is to get back down to 2-3 tanks.. funny hobby we have

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't consider a large tank to always be better than a small tank. It depends on what kind of fish you want to keep, and how you want the layout to look.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 09:08 PM
Algae Grower

Use to just have my bedroom with a 46 gallonbow front on a dresser lol wanted a 55 but couldn't afford it (got the bow for free). Moved out and live with my fiancee we now have a 15 gallon plant, 46 discus, and a 75 blackwater for my black ghost knife it'll get better!

Read over your rental agreement, check under your flooring or build your own stand. If you have the space even a 700lb tank can sit on a second story apartment floor. As for money.. where I live it's about $50 per square foot of tank by that I mean the light, 36" vs 48" or even sand/gravel. My 75 gallon vs our bowfront 46 gallon it's at most $200 difference total.

I got lucky and bought the 75 tank, stand, & canopy for $200 and that's only about depending on sale or not 40 - 80 more than the stand for the bowfront alone.

That said if you want bigger the price in my experience is worth it, small tanks can run a lot too
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Black ghost knife is an AWESOME fish. he will get huge though - may need to upgrade the 75!

I dream of the day when I can start my >150 gallon piranha tank project. I rent an apartment with my girlfriend but until I can get my own house / can build a tank into the wall I'm cool with my 75 gallon

Tank size is really only an issue if you want larger fish IMO. With plants I don't really need anything larger than the 75 gallon to get it done. A shoal of like 12 red bellied piranhas will require a HUGE tank so I will be patient. It is totally unfeasible to move a setup that large so I need to wait until I buy a house that I'll be in for a long time.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Algae Grower

My BGK is about 9" and roughly 9 years old, he isn't growing to big I got him at 1" big. Perfect health though loves bloodworms and hand feeding no signs of stunting or even wanting more room hes got 1/4 of the tank caved for him.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 12:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

If it makes you feel any better I agonize over scapes!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 03:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Rather that the exact size, figure out what you want to do with the tank, Some small tanks can be real gems. Other times a large tank can be fantastic. However, it's not that simple. Consider how you will view the tank. If your viewing it close up, a smaller tank can let you see everything at once. A large tank may show off better when viewed from across the room. If your looking at the tank from a distance, you may want larger fish, so you can see then.

This can go on and on. So choose based upon what is right for you.

Since you renting, you'll likely need to move the tank. I would choose one that can easily be handled by one person. This would limit you to about a 30 gal tank or smaller.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 04:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I feel your pain @pandacory. I move every year so I can really only keep one tank because they're such a bear to move with all the livestock and such. I have a 55 gallon long and I dread it every time. I can't even imagine moving several tanks, I mean that would mean at least three or four sealed five gallon buckets full of water and stock. But one day when I've got my own house I'm definitely going to set up a tank room.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode