Gonna be a showdown! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Angry Gonna be a showdown!

So, I have been finding holes and ragged edges on some of the leaves of some of my plants, and I've been trying to figure out the problem...
I'm well versed in what CO2 deficiency looks like and this wasn't it.
I already add 1 1/2 times EI levels of ferts, so nutrient deficiency was unlikely, but still possible.
My bristlenose is too big to hang on the leaves affected, so it wasn't him/her.

It turns out....

Pond snails eat plants You can clearly see the gas bubbles coming out of the recently sliced tissue! Grrrrr, there is gonna be a snailicide!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 03:06 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Good luck!!

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 04:30 AM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
make sure theres no inverts in your tank, i believe snail killers kill more than snails..

edit: inverts other than your enemy

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, I'm not going to use chemicals.
I'm starting with a two prong plan, leaving cucumber slices in the tank overnight, then putting any snails attached in the freezer come morning.
When (if) I see a serious decline in these guys, I'll introduce a bunch of ramshorns. I don't know why, but I've never had pond snails get a foothold in a tank that already had an established ramshorn population. I think the ramshorns might eat the pond snails eggs.

Hopefully it will work out, I have a ton of dwarf narrow leaf J fern that should look great, but looks more like a madagascar lace plant

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 06:31 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
I sympathize with your pain. I got pond snails on my plants and their population exploded before I had any fish in the tank. At first I thought they were helping me out by eating algae off of my plants, until I finally realized the truth. And since the plants were weakened, algae was gaining the upper hand.

Lucky for me, I had planned to get loaches for my tank and they have taken care of the problem. My plants are in good health so the algae is almost gone and the water quality is vastly improved. I tried the cucumber trick but had little luck. If I was lucky I would get 10 baby snails but that was a drop in the bucket to how many were in the tank.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 06:40 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Yeah, I came home one day and a pond snail was eating leaves off of my petites!!

-Chris

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ooh, A. petite is another they are shredding
Unfortunately, there is no room in the tank for loaches, they might be a little aggro for the residents anyway.

Anyone have any other good tricks I can try?

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Saraja87
I've never had pond snails before but my guess would be a two pronged attack:
- borrow some baby loaches from someone and let them put a big dent in the snail population. Then you can pass them on to a bigger tank.
- Next, I'd get myself some pretty non-plant eating snails that will eat all the other snail eggs. I got some beautiful Asolene Spix snails from Ebichua that I heard really decimated his snail population.

110 Tall in progress!

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
If you originally planned to get ramshorn snails, then try them out. Otherwise if the cucumber trick does not work, I would try assassin snails. But read up on them here:

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic....er=asc&start=0

Do you have shrimp in your tank? Because some people said they eat shrimp but that may be only when they are not well fed.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
when i had a pond snail break out i just picked them out of the tank. since they laid their eggs in big sacks i just found those and pulled them out too. havent had a pond snail since.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127 View Post
when i had a pond snail break out i just picked them out of the tank. since they laid their eggs in big sacks i just found those and pulled them out too. havent had a pond snail since.
Now that would be a first.
You can keep their numbers in check by constantly picking them out,but getting rid of them entirely is another story.

Maybe there are different subspecies,because I have never found evidence that they are eating my plants.If they are it is not apparent.

Maybe I am just lucky.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lescarpentier View Post
Maybe there are different subspecies,because I have never found evidence that they are eating my plants.If they are it is not apparent.
These have been in my tank for months, and the plant eating only started recently. Unlike my amanos and bristlenose, they don't seem to go after fish food to supplement their algae diet, so I think there isn't enough algae to go around and they got hungry...

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Those assassin snails are a bit intimidating!

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Assassin Snails cause no damage to plants eat other snails will not eat their own kind and breed slowly... So perfect snail control...
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraja87 View Post
borrow some baby loaches from someone and let them put a big dent in the snail population. Then you can pass them on to a bigger tank.
That's an idea there. Check with you LFS's, maybe you can work something out.

210 g - Empty right now

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode