Osmocote Plus without CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Osmocote Plus without CO2

People have always told me that I would have algae blooms if I did not use CO2 and used dry ferts along with high light (3 wpg). I want folks to see for themselves if this is true. I have attached an image of my first planted tank and it has the following traits I mentioned earlier in the paragraph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	359794  

Last edited by absidius; 08-22-2014 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Do you think that you might list the number of hrs per day and how many months/years this tank has been running on this schedual/dosing/light combo ? And also possibly list the size of the tank plus a better description of the light other than 3 WPG ?
Like a 40B tank/w 2 x T5 bulbs for example. The title says "Osmocote+ without CO2" is Osmocote what you are calling dry ferts ?
It would be very helpfull to any who may wish to do what you have done if the above details were included.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Last edited by Raymond S.; 08-22-2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Additional details
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 04:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
^^^Agreed

What is the PAR data for your light fixture?!?! WPG is out dated, and no longer used as a rule for aquarium lighting. Aquarium lighting is now based on PAR....

45g Long - High Light Planted Tank / 30g - Plant Grow Out Tank / 100g Tank - currently resealing

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
If you put the osmocot + into the substrate properly it won't cause algae, the 'high light' can though. I have the root tabs all over a 12g (spread out so 1 tab per 3"square space). I only have hair algae at one end of the tank because its close to another tank with another light so it gets 'high light' at that corner and 'medium' everywhere else. I need to find a way to shade it form the second light without having to "black out" background the tank since its suppose to be viewed from all sides.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Man, you guys are intense! Lol, I feel like I'm onstage at a TED talk. Before I begin providing details about this setup, I urge y'all to consider the fact that this is my first planted aquarium. This setup is a 55L that has been started 3 and a 1/2 months ago and is running 2 x 48watts t5-ho lighting fixtures (I made a typo on the first post - it's almost 2wpg but like someone pointed out, the PAR rating should be higher for T5HOs) . As for the PAR rating - forgive me, I have not measured it (still noob status). The lights come on at 11AM and turn off at 7:30 (8.5 hours total). I have two heaters but only one is plugged in because the heat provided by the lighting is more than sufficient to raise and stabilize the water temperature for the rest of the day. I apologize if Osmocote Plus is not considered as a dry fert because it is what I was referring to when I said "dry ferts". I stuffed the osmocote into 0 size gel capsules that were placed 3" deep in Caribsea Eco-complete substrate. In addition to the osmocote plus, I also dose seachem flourish comprehensive once a week. I hope I answered all of your questions and please forgive me for any grammatical and spelling errors for I am typing on an iphone.

Last edited by absidius; 08-22-2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Clarification
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
WPG was invented when they used T12 and T8 bulbs. It is only a general rule of thumb however as anyone can see that a 20 long with 2 WPG and a 20 high with 2 WPG will grow plants differently simply because even though the WPG is the same the distance from the bulb to the plant is different.
It is a VERY nice tank for a first. Great job...
I use Osmocote, but first I just started, and I just push the beads down into the sub with my tweezers as my plants are small still and I just use two or three beads under each of them. I also use Flourish and Tetra Pride for ferts in the water.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Nice looking tank. What kind of light fixture do you have? Specifically interested in the brand and/or the type of reflector it has.

I had a very similar set-up on my 75 gallon for a few months. Two T5HO in a hydroponic fixture, with "fair" reflectors, 4" off the surface. Ferts were Osmocote+ and Flourish Comp, 2-3x daily Excel, roughly 10 hour photo period - virtually no algae. Having a large plant mass definitely helps.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The lighting fixtures are a couple of 24" T5HO Zoomed AquaSun fitted with 6700k bulbs. I have removed the glass canopy on the tank to prevent any loss of light penetration. In addition to those lights, I sometimes (when the plants are freshly trimmed) add a compact fluorescent light bulb that doubles as my desk lamp on the spot where the plants have been trimmed. While that additional light is running - I dose Flourish Comprehensive by Seachem with a small 5ml dosage of Excel on the same spot (spot treatment with a no needle syringe). Thank you guys for your reassuring comments, it helps me maintain my motivation.

Last edited by absidius; 08-23-2014 at 07:27 AM. Reason: parenthesis

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode