How Much Is Too Much? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
How Much Is Too Much?

I'm out of town again. Basically across the state two days a week every week now. I was talking to my wife tonight and asked, "Did you feed the fish?"

Her response:

"Yes, I fed them. And by the way, you need to do something. I have enough to do when you're gone without having to feed seven tanks of fish!"

My initial response was that all the food is carefully sorted into pill boxes that are sitting next to the appropriate tanks, and all she has to do is dump the right day of the week into the tank. Easy, right?

My next thought was, all the food is carefully sorted into pill boxes that are sitting next to the appropriate tanks. Is that obsessive? And how did I get to seven tanks of fish?

Having 10+ tanks is no big deal if most of them are small and house inverts that require little care. It's just an avenue to try different things. Different plants, different fauna, different scapes, different substrates. And each one started out as a beautiful vision. The problem, unfortunately, is that most of those visions were never fully realized, or if they were, they haven't been properly maintained. Most of my tanks are a mess. They need trimmings, they need re-plantings, they are lacking a proper fertilization regime, they are overstocked. There are Endlers in my BV tank. There are CPD's in my yellow neo tank. The Endlers can't go with the other Endlers because there are too many. The CPD's can't go in the 5G jar because it is full of Endlers. The betta is in a vase that was supposed to have been torn down months ago. His planned new home is a mess and is currently occupied by two 13 cent goldfish. A couple of the male guppies in the male guppy tank turned out to be females and now there are fry. Some of the male fry in the female guppy tank grew up and are busily creating a new generation. Crypts are melting. BBA won't go away. The male peacock gudgeon is hiding constantly and appears to be starving and withering away. The cories keep uprooting plants in the Eco Complete and I can't get a carpet. There is an empty 55G that has been in my garage for seven years. There's a brand new Fluval Spec 2 in a box that was purchased months ago and has never been opened. Tupperware containers full of plants are all over the kitchen counter. The dining room table is covered with fish supplies.

I need driftwood!

Why won't my opae ula breed?

When did I last do a WC on Tank #8?

Will I ever install that RO system I purchased two months ago?

There isn't enough ADD medication in the world!

I swear I love my dog more than my fish. And my kids. And my wife.

Dog - Kids - Wife - Fish

In that order. Maybe. A man has to have priorities!

How the heck do you guys do it??? And when it's time to consolidate or cut back, how do you decide what stays and what goes. Where is the balance between creativity and execution? Between enjoyment and insanity?

CURSE YOU M.T.S.

29G Community | 12G Edge | 10G Yellow Neo | 10G Mess |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 4G Fountain Vase |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twin 2.5's | 1G Cubus |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)
besides your tanks, you have dog, kids and a wife.

I have fish tanks...

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
besides your tanks, you have dog, kids and a wife.

I have fish tanks...
I see. So what you're saying is, dump the wife. Then I'd only have the kids three days a week and alternating weekends, so I'd have way more time for my tanks!

The problem is, she'd take the dog out of spite. And I can't have that. I love that dog.

| 4G Fountain Vase |

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 08:07 AM
Algae Grower

Deeeeeep breath bro... You need a community tank. That 55 gal seems like a good place to start. It will allow more creativity and room for experimentation plus much needed consolidation.

Keeping fish/plants is a peaceful endeavor my friend. I certainly know how easy it is to look at a tank and only see "the numbers". However just Zen it out and embrace the journey. You don't have to do everything at once.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

10+ tanks is getting up there. By your on admission many need some work.

I'd suggest that you figure out one or two things you really want to keep and have only the one or two tanks needed to keep them. Maybe have one other tank usually empty for emergency use.

It's far better to have a couple of really fantastic tanks, than a lot of tanks that look only so so.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Algae Grower

you love your dog more than your wife? i don't even...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Algae Grower

One time I had 7 fish tanks, 3 Lizard tanks, 3 frog tanks and a turtle tank. It was not easy but, then again I was not married back then.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmilkcandy View Post
you love your dog more than your wife? i don't even...
Dog love is almost unconditional. You feed me. You pet me. I love you.

Wife love, on the other hand, is nothing but conditions!

| 4G Fountain Vase |
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
A few years back I had seven tanks running at home, and a dozen tanks at elementary school where I was working on maint staff that I set up for small children at teachers request.(maintained these too)
Now I have two tanks ,and life is much more relaxing and the hobby does not seem like so much of a job.
Moved from the schools to administration bldg.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got up to seven tanks. Said screw that and went back down to two.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So two tanks seems to be a theme. For those of you with two or three, how big are they? Over 55? My largest operating tank right now is 29G.

| 4G Fountain Vase |
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

80 gallons and 55 gallons.
Have empty 75 gal,29 gal,20 gal,10 gal,56 gal.
I really should sell em but can't.
I do occasionally use the ten gal for quarantine.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 04:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have a 55 gallon community tank, a 20L badis badis species tank, a 40 gallon Asian themed tank, and a 10 gallon quarantine tank (so, 3 when quarantine is done though I keep the quarantine tank going even when empty). My tween daughter has a 20 gallon guppy tank, 2 5 gallon guppy tanks (soon to be consolidated with the 20 gallon), and a 1 gallon betta tank (he will be moved to one of the 5 gallons) (so, 2 when quarantine is done).

My heart is with the 55 gallon tank. Everything gets along and it's been easy to care for and fun to look at. I kind of wish I hadn't started the badis tank, as it's not very interesting and I'm tired of the picky eating.

We're not counting the reptile tanks, are we? Because then it just gets ridiculous. What about the tortoise kennels outside?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Does changing water in the bird bath count?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Does changing water in the bird bath count?
Are there fish or inverts in the bird bath? Mosquito larva don't count

| 4G Fountain Vase |

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode