Help! Tank readings are still high, shrimp dyeing....water cloudy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help! Tank readings are still high, shrimp dyeing....water cloudy

First off this isn't my first planted tank, but this is my first massive fail!
I'm so fed up.....

Background.

This tank has been dry started for 7 weeks. then filled for about 2 weeks before I rescaped and filled again for another 2 weeks.

Until 3 days ago I didn't have many fish or shrimp in the tank. 3 Amano to clean amd 2 Oto cats to clean

Levels were checked every few days and read normal through out the last 2 months.
Eater changes and dosed ferts, and low level of co2 pressurized.

Problems in the last week....

Plants are melting and or getting holes in them
I returned them to my 5 gallon tank, they were fine. Put them back few days ago, same problem! They start to die....

2 days ago I tore down my small tank as I'm selling it. And so I transferred all my baby shrimp and 5 neons to my current tank

Literally over night, insist cloudy water, so I checked levels. All super high, like off the chart readings..WTF

Now I can't get it under control. Lost 15 baby shrimp,so far 2 Cory cat fish.
Done 3 50% water changes and it has not helped.

Useing prime, and slime coat additive as well as a small amount of cycle.

Help!
I feel silly asking since I should probably know what I'm doing wrong!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my other expensive hobby....my golden retriever "Samson",

Last edited by Emplanted; 08-21-2014 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'd post close up pictures of plants.

Also one part you mentioned cory cats, so guessing you moved shrimp/cories/ and neons to the high tech tank? How many fish did you move exactly.

Shrimp are pretty sensitive to change of parameters and it sounds like you moved shrimp from a low tech tank to a high tech one. Ferts alone can be bad for shrimp, co2 can easily gas shrimp so you'd need more aeration. Co2 also changes water parameters so they might not like the changes when co2 is off/on. Also best of drip acclimating shrimp, so theres a number of things that could of killed them, not just the crazy parameters.

If you had the tank running fine for 2 months I'll assume it did actually cycle, but the addition of fish from the other tank was too much for the beneficial bacteria in the tank. Doubt this though since you barely added anything but with rotting plants and additional fish it could be a possibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agro View Post
I'd post close up pictures of plants.

Also one part you mentioned cory cats, so guessing you moved shrimp/cories/ and neons to the high tech tank? How many fish did you move exactly.

Yes 2 corys 5 neons and about 40 pinhead shrimp

Shrimp are pretty sensitive to change of parameters and it sounds like you moved shrimp from a low tech tank to a high tech one. Ferts alone can be bad for shrimp, co2 can easily gas shrimp so you'd need more aeration. Co2 also changes water parameters so they might not like the changes when co2 is off/on. Also best of drip acclimating shrimp, so theres a number of things that could of killed them, not just the crazy parameters.

I actually transferred all water from the old tank. Also there was co2 in the old tank, but if haven't set it up in the new one quite yet.

If you had the tank running fine for 2 months I'll assume it did actually cycle, but the addition of fish from the other tank was too much for the beneficial bacteria in the tank. Doubt this though since you barely added anything but with rotting plants and additional fish it could be a possibility.
Sorry I should add that not all plants are doing badly
Havering issue with staurogyne and my bylxa only

I'm just surprised the levels spiked so suddenly, and should I keep doing large water changes to lower the levels? Or be adding a chemical to lower the nitrates nitirtes and ammonia?

Thanks!

Last edited by Emplanted; 08-21-2014 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Edit

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emplanted View Post
Sorry I should add that not all plants are doing badly
Havering issue with staurogyne and my bylxa only

I'm just surprised the levels spiked so suddenly, and should I keep doing large water changes to lower the levels? Or be adding a chemical to lower the nitrates nitirtes and ammonia?

Thanks!

Isolate shrimp then do that. Or do it at a slow and steady rate.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 04:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by agro View Post
Isolate shrimp then do that. Or do it at a slow and steady rate.
Totally agree. Juvie shrimp can easily live in a bowl or jar without filtration for a week or more. Give them some moss to hang onto and they'll be fine.

Also, a knee-jerk reaction is to keep doing massive water changes, which can cause all kinds of additional problems from parameter swings, mini-cycles, etc. I had that issue a year ago and wound up losing all my shrimp. The water changes just made them die faster.

29G Community | 12G Edge | 10G Yellow Neo | 10G Mess |
| 4G Fountain Vase |
| Twin 2.5's | 1G Cubus |
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstl View Post
Totally agree. Juvie shrimp can easily live in a bowl or jar without filtration for a week or more. Give them some moss to hang onto and they'll be fine.

Also, a knee-jerk reaction is to keep doing massive water changes, which can cause all kinds of additional problems from parameter swings, mini-cycles, etc. I had that issue a year ago and wound up losing all my shrimp. The water changes just made them die faster.
So no more water changes? how long a few days? Just let the tank do it's thing then?

It's late here but if there are shrimp in there in the am it's my day off ill retreat them to a jar, hope they live

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Managed to save 15 baby shrimp...
So do I continue doing water changes? Or let the tank get and see if it fixes itself?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would leave it be for a few days and test again.

29G Community | 12G Edge | 10G Yellow Neo | 10G Mess |
| 4G Fountain Vase |
| Twin 2.5's | 1G Cubus |
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Other odd thing..maybe.
The water is clear when Initially change water. But then in like 30mins very foggy within a hours I can't even see through it now!

Last edited by Emplanted; 08-22-2014 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Spelling sorry!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode