Future tank build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Future tank build

So the next time my petco has a dollar per gallon sale I plan on picking up another 55, or if I see a really good deal on a 75 on craigslist, I really want to make a cold-ish water tank. I'll have a nice canister for it, and maybe a additional HOB for extra oxygen. Here is the decoration/stocking list:

Smooth rocks, stem plants
Smooth gravel or fine sand

Hillstream loaches 4-5
Goldfish 3-4
White cloud minnows
Female bettas 3
Dojo loach 3-4
Madagascar rainbows 6-7
Glass Cats 6-8

My question is what plants would be suitable for this setup? The temp will be around the 68-74 range. Other thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 10:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm not expert, but that seems awful cool to be keeping a female Betta.

Not sure Goldfish and to many tropicals are real compatible (Well they are but not as comfortably as either could be).

I think the Glass cats would also really struggle in that temp.

The White Clouds and the Goldfish would probably be happy if you stayed in the low to middle range though.

Just me not so expert opinions.

As for plants I don't think you'll have to many problems with as long as you stay in the 70-72 range. Except Goldfish are notorious plant eaters and uprooters (They are carp).

I'd reassess your official parameters and you'll likely get a better answer.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I could easily dump the bettas, they were just for giggles. And I meant to say 70-75 but mosty aim for 75 (not sure why I said 68, if have to get a chiller to get it that far). I added the goldfish in this as I was wondering whether or not some species of stem plants would survive them, and if so, which ones. And as far as the tropical and the temp, the reason I picked those is that the research I have done indicates that these particular species (particularly the loaches and rainbows) prefer the colder temp, and actually need it to a degree for the increased oxygen levels cold water holds. But that is just the internet, I would love to hear suggestions for those with experience with these species!

Using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 11:58 PM
Algae Grower

Yeah, I would leave out the bettas. They need nice warm water I'm not sure about the goldfish either, but I became an enthusiast when my goldfish got bigger. I only have experience comets, but all single tail goldfish need a bigger tank as adults. They're really best as pond fish. When I was younger I, just like lots of kids, had school fairs with a booth where you would toss a ping pong ball and win a little goldfish. I had no idea when I won any of my 4 little dudes that they could grow to be a foot long! I made a plea to my parents every year for bigger and bigger tanks until I had all four of my fish in a bare bottom 80 gallon tank with very little decoration to take up as little room as possible and they still looked cramped It was sad ....so I spray painted a hard plastic kiddie pool, put it in the middle of my den, filled it with about 250 gallons of water, made it pretty, and moved my fish over They're MUCH happier there and my mother's den looks very zen lol. They also felt comfortable enough to spawn when they had enough room, so eventually I moved more goldfish to a friend's big outdoor pond. Sry for rambling lol - miss my goldies! Anyway, this goldfish snob says that 75 gallons may not be big enough for 3-4 goldfish - at least not permanently. They just get too big and create SOOO MUCH WASTE!! You could always do what I do though and get the fish you want and then just give them away to someone with bigger setups when they get too big lol...oorrr use it as an excuse to eventually get a bigger tank

DOJO LOACHES RULE!!!! Just make sure you keep the lid on I accidentally left mine open last week before I went to bed and one climbed out So sad to lose those little dudes. Some fish should just be immortal!

Let's see...plants I have in cold water..
Amazon sword
Rose sword (I think it's called)
Marble Sword (I think - it's spotty and pretty)
Temple Plant
Water sprite
Bacopa Cariolinia (spelling?..Pronunciation?..It's something like that)
Vallisneria - both spiral and Italian I think
Java Fern
Anubias - I've got nana barteri and coffeiola (spelling again?)
Bunch of mosses - java, peacock, flame, x-mas sometimes
Water Lettuce

I think that's all I've had in my cold water tanks so far.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I could always use the comets as food for my carnivores when they get bigger..........

Using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Anacharis likes it cool also.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anyone else have comments on plant choice or experience with the fish listed, or possible plants that could survive goldfish?

Using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode