Rimless aquarium weight limit - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rimless aquarium weight limit

I have a mr aqua 18" cube and I was wondering how much weight I can put in this tank? This is my first rimless and it has me nervous, I don't want to crack the bottom with to much weight from wood/substrate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I don't think you'll have a problem with it. I accidentally dropped a golf ball size rock from about 17 inches high and the bottom glass was fine. Definitely clenched my butt for a second.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:51 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopy View Post
I don't think you'll have a problem with it. I accidentally dropped a golf ball size rock from about 17 inches high and the bottom glass was fine. Definitely clenched my butt for a second.
What a magical comment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Ok so 35lbs would be no problem?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 12:09 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
The wood will basically be water weight after being soaked, so it weighs about the same as the water it displaces.

1.5 foot cube will hold 210 pounds of water (25 gallons.) 35 pounds of rock should not be a problem. Same deal as the wood, it will displace some water. Net difference is a little bit. Not enough to matter as long as the tank is in good condition.

I'd say everyone else does it, so it's fine.

Magical moments can be fun. Those others, not so much. LOL!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 01:48 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuuu View Post
I have a mr aqua 18" cube and I was wondering how much weight I can put in this tank? This is my first rimless and it has me nervous, I don't want to crack the bottom with to much weight from wood/substrate.
Anything within reason you put in the tank will never cause a problem. I'm into reef aquariums, and I have friends that have had large tanks filled to the brim with rock and then filled with water. Never a problem.

The water that is displaced by whatever object would weigh more than that object anyway. In other words, if you were to have a section of water that took the same shape as the object you are concerned about (a rock, piece of wood, or substrate) the water would weigh more. (Usually) So, a tank full of nothing but water would weigh more than a tank with a bunch of stuff in it and then filled with water. (Usually)

The only thing you need to watch out for is dropping something heavy on the bottom when it has no water in it, which was described by Jalopy earlier.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Rock is denser than water. A tank full of rock will weigh more than a tank full of water.

Most rock weighs at least 100 lb per cubic foot. (Except for porous rock like pumice or lava)
Water weighs 62 lb per cubic foot.
Gravel and sand substrates also weight about 100 lbs per cubic foot. There are quite a few lighter substrates.

Back to the original question, though. As suggested above, pretty much any sort of hardscape is OK. I would suggest that if you will be adding a lot of rock that you use some egg crate (a lighting product) to better distribute the weight.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:50 AM
Algae Grower

We'll If there's no rim wouldn't the weight be forced on the stand and not the bottom glass
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 01:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Rimless tanks are as strong as the ones with trim around it, otherwise no one would use them. You should see rimless tanks that are so huge with no brace at all, so I wouldn't worry with little cube.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode