New to planted tanks, please help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
New to planted tanks, please help!

I converted my tank to a planted tank almost a month ago. I have a fluval spec III. I upgraded the tank light to the fluval 13 watt compact and have taken every step to help the plants grow but I seem to be failing in the planted tank endeavor. I chose the Eco-Complete planted substrate because it had some of the best reviews on amazon but I am not so sure about it now.

The dwarf baby tears I originally added didn't make it and had to be removed. The dwarf hair grass has a lot of brown and dead grass in it. The moneywort has some dead leaves and the java moss constantly has brown in it. I dont know what Im doing wrong. I'm doing the water changes weekly, Seachem Flourish once a week and Seachem Flourish Excel daily. The tank light is on at least 9 hours a day. Is there anything else I should be doing or adding to the tank? Any help would be extremely appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	358826  

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	358834  

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	358842  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No one has any suggestions or advice? I really need some assistance here please.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 08:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Get flourish. "Flourish comprehensive" it helps with the ferts for the plants. How's your stock? My dwarf hairgrass isn't carpeting but for the month I've had it the only problem I got is floating. Everything is greener than a whistle with the dosings.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Im currently using Flourish and Flourish Excel. My stock? I have one betta and two otto catfish, if you mean the fish I currently have.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
What size tank is it?
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalexson4689 View Post
Im currently using Flourish and Flourish Excel. My stock? I have one betta and two otto catfish, if you mean the fish I currently have.
What about your levels ? (ph, nitrates etc.?) Furthermore if its a spec 3....which I believe is a 2.6, I think your wattage may be high for your tank...Also sorry aha misread the flourish skip. I suggest to tone down the dosages of flourish to once or twice....may have the algae blooooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua nut View Post
What size tank is it?
Fluval spec 3 seems to be 2.6

Link-tastic:
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Spec-Aquarium-2-6-Gallon-Black/dp/B009K0ZKAQ
However correct me if I am wrong, maybe we can narrow it downsss

Last edited by DesignZ; 08-20-2014 at 09:40 AM. Reason: mistake
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Baby tears require high light and a lot of Co2 to thrive. Are you running Co2 in this tank at all?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Retired)

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 11:25 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua nut View Post
What size tank is it?
Ahhh.. That's why I didn't know the size..
I never even considered getting a nano tank.. Sorry I can't help you...
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignZ View Post
What about your levels ? (ph, nitrates etc.?) Furthermore if its a spec 3....which I believe is a 2.6, I think your wattage may be high for your tank...Also sorry aha misread the flourish skip. I suggest to tone down the dosages of flourish to once or twice....may have the algae blooooom

Fluval spec 3 seems to be 2.6

Link-tastic:
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Spec-Aq.../dp/B009K0ZKAQ

However correct me if I am wrong, maybe we can narrow it downsss
I'm only using Flourish once a week

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonxflare View Post
Baby tears require high light and a lot of Co2 to thrive. Are you running Co2 in this tank at all?
This light certainly gives the tank the "high light" category but no Co2 for this tank so that may explain the baby tears not making it.

Bump: Is there something else I should be dosing the tank with, something perhaps I missed completely?
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalexson4689 View Post
I'm only using Flourish once a week

Bump:

This light certainly gives the tank the "high light" category but no Co2 for this tank so that may explain the baby tears not making it

Bump: Is there something else I should be dosing the tank with, something perhaps I missed completely?
If it's generally high light territory you need co2 in order to sustain it, (excel not sufficient enough)
Could be due to burning as your tank is small but you have more lighting than high lighting should be perhaps. Co2 can indeed be a factor, try some Co2? DIY it or something but make sure you have something to maintain and observe you don't have too much.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 10:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you really want to get into ferts, I would ditch the flourish stuff, and just simply go with the EI method.

This will provide you with every fert you need, for a fraction of the cost compared to purchasing bottles.

http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquari...rtilizers.html

$15 for the EI package, and for your size tank.... it will last you over 2 years.

(Retired)

(Retired)

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Algae Grower

Your hair grass is dying because you don't have enough light.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwaterfishlover View Post
Your hair grass is dying because you don't have enough light.
I find that very hard to believe

Bump: I am trying to keep this as a low tech tank, I am not ready to move onto Co2. All of the conflicting opinions has turned me off to the whole planted tank endeavor. Not to mention the money I have spent converting the tank.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 10:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hi Jsalexson4689,

I think you need to read Darkblade's Primer to Planted Tanks. It may be more information than you need and you'll probably have to read it over a few times to truly digest everything in there but it's well worth it to sort your thoughts out.

If you're not ready to move into co2, and since you're barely fertilizing, you may need to cut down on your light. Light is not supposed to be the first thing to upgrade. It seems like it is because it's the cool thing to do and it looks good but it really isn't. Trust the many algae ridden tanks before you. You may also need to find plants that are more forgiving of no co2. Planted tanks 'can' be easy. You just have to figure out how not to fight nature
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Let me just say I did not take the planted tank conversion lightly, I did as much research as I could in preparing for it. It was not an inexpensive choice either.

The various sources that I found online had stated that lighting was one of the most important aspects of the planted tank hence why I upgraded the light, I also changed the substrate to Eco-Complete. For selecting the plants I tried to choose plants that were hardy and could survive in a nano tank but I think I was mislead.

I purchased a timer for the light last night so it will now have a consistent 8 hours of light. I also purchased Seachem Flourish Root Tabs and Seachem Plant Pack Enhancers, NPK. I hope this is a step in the right direction.

Does anyone have any suggestions on plants that I can get for my tank that will thrive in high light adding Co2?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode