Bottom Pad needed for rimmed? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bottom Pad needed for rimmed?

Hi:

I have a 29 gallon that I am setting up. I am about to place it in the fireplace's extra hole where wood is normally stored as a kind of makeshift wall tank. :-) It will be sitting on top of cut douglas fir wood and not directly on the brick. No we do not make fires, don't worry. In four years, not a single fire has been made.

Anyway, the tank is rimmed. Do I need an aquarium mat or no?

If so, I might just head to Marshall's and get a yoga mat to cut up.

Thanks!

dbw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
No mat needed as long as it's a flat surface.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 07:10 PM
Algae Grower

Pics please? That's one place I would have never thought that I can keep a fish tank. I have a fireplace that I dont use at all. Pics might help me decide if i can do the same as you.

Back to the topic though, TRENT is correct.

Last edited by ashokjr; 08-18-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Edit

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi:

Okay..well I am actually thinking of starting a tank journal since this tank is so much work. From collecting to wood, to collecting equiupment to reading everything I can free online by Heiko Bleher, it has been a ton of work. I decided to get the yoga mat and cut it. Putting the tank in, I notice there is a small (1/4 inch to 1/2 inch overhang) which I am wondering if it will make a difference. If it does, 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of wood for me at the store. Yay. The overhang is also pictured.

Anyway, here are the pics so far.

Thanks for your interest.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140818_190457.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	358714

Name:	20140818_190443.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	358730

Name:	20140818_190605.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	358722

dbw
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Upside down!

Making me dizzy!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No wonder it is so much work, your entire house is upside down!!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 08:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Geez I was like "Did he stick some sticks into the insulation in a hole he cut in the drywall behind his fireplace?" but then I realized you discovered a positive gravitational force that seems to be pushing all of the objects in your upside-down home away from the center of the Earth.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd probably do the plywood, but I fall into the overly cautious crowd on most things. I think it would be better to have something solid under all parts of the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- three years old at this point

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 04:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
My first thought was I have never seen a fireplace set that high up before...

If it has room for plywood I would use it. If you are asking about it, you are worried about it. The few bucks worth of plywood is worth it so you will not be thinking about it later.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Reginald and JP55g. Thanks very much. You are right in that I am worried about. I can hear the *crack* now in my head.

Haha. You guys are all funny. Hmm.. I have no idea why it posted upside down. I did not take the pictures upside down.

Does anyone actually like it?

Thanks.

dbw
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I see a few potential drawbacks. If you have answers you find satisfactory, then I think it could be pretty cool.

1. Is the tank and all euipment servicable in that location? I've done rack tanks with little space above and it can be a pain when you have a hard time getting a net into all 4 corners top to bottom. Fish have a way of not liking to be netted.

2. is there any concern about the thermal mass of the fireplace? I am willing to bet that that brick gets pretty cool to the touch. Are you going to be pushing a stone up hill by trying to have an 80 degree tank in close contact with it?

3. Is it at a good viewing angle for your enjoyment?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi!

Thanks for your questions pandacory. Okay. Here goes:

1. Yes the tank and equipment are serviceable. I had to buy a smaller filter than I wanted to make sure (actually I just had to get the right size... I usually grossly overfilter - I may have to get two that are that size). I have not tried to get a net in all 4 corners top to bottom. Good question though. OKay, I can reach my hand around all four corners. Don't know about trying to get a fish out though. I realize that you cannot see that the tank does not have that much depth back. The fireplace is more than 30 inches back, but the tank is only 12.5 inches back so there is a lot of room in back of it.

2. The fireplace is kewl to the touch. I was thinking of two heaters, one on each side. Do you think that is not enough?

3. Now this is perfect. It is actually a perfect viewing angle for my enjoyment. The whole family is excited about it. They are waiting for it to get done.

Sigh.

Thanks.

dbw

Last edited by dbw27; 08-19-2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Clarification
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you are good with servicing then it should work.

As long as you're not in direct contact with the brick and there isnt excessive air movement chilling the tank you're probably ok, but you could consider some insulation? Maybe paint some foam block and pack it around the sides and back? I don't know how cold it actually gets so you might be fine with just the bottom support. Make sure it looks good. A piece of plywood to even out the surface it sits on should be enough. Just remember to paint all wood/insulation prior to filling the tank, I've made that mistake before. This also means you need to be happy with what you see through the side panes and back of the tank I.e. is looking through the tank at brick going to ruin or enhance the effect you are going for in the tank?

generally, black backgrounds capture the eye in the tank and contrast against the plants. White, or frost backgrounds tend to draw the eye through the tank, enhancing scale. Just look at a bunch of pictures of aquascapes and choose what you like background wise. In my mind the best biotopes have black or 3d backgrounds and are dimly lit, while the best nature aquariums have frost backgrounds to soften the white backdrop and are brightly lit. It's really a matter of preference.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
house must be in Australia

Fight Apathy!... or don't, whatever
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It looks cool. I'd be worried about doing maintenance though.

- three years old at this point

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode