other 7 35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
pros and cons: 55gal or 29gal

So,

I am literally staring at 2 similar setups and don't know which to keep, and which to sell.

I have a 29 gallon tank and hood sitting on a petco brooklyn stand, and I also have a 55 gallon tank sitting on a petco brooklyn stand. Both are brand new and have only been fill tested. I have waited too long noodling and can't return to the store.

both were bought impulsively at the petco 1$ per gallon sale. Regardless of which one I keep, either will be drilled with a 20high sump. Low tech, low light. I am interested in possibly angelfish and dwarf chiclids.

I am a renter, and will be moving in 2 years. I have changed setups every 1-2 years since starting this hobby. I can *just* fit the 55 along a load bearing wall without crowding the wall ac at my current place. I have never had trouble finding a place for a 30-36" tank in the places I've lived thus far.

what would you do? Pros and cons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 05:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Currently I have a 29g setup that originally was to be a temporary home when my 55g lost its seal. I repaired the 55g but never took the 29g down to but the 55g back into action. That was 2 years ago. I would have preferred the 55g but didn't feel like swapping.

Normally I would advise for the 55 all the way but I can't in your case. You mentioned doing a sump, drilling and that you got the 55 from the $1 sale. The choice here is simple. Keep the 29g if you plan on drilling. The 55g is tempered glass all the way around. I believe its standard now for this size tank. The 55g I mentioned earlier had a tempered glass tag only on the bottom so I didn't think much else of it. Well I broke down that same 55g that I repaired for scrap and it turned out that all sides were tempered. Ask me how I know. Lets just say it took 20 minutes to clean up the mess. There are test however that you can use to determine if the glass is tempered or not. One is to have a pair of polarized 3d glasses to check for the checker board pattern.

If you have the space, I'd actually keep them both. One thing you could do without drilling is a diy overflow and use the 29g as your sump. I did this on my 29g with a 10g to experiment and it actually worked well just using my 2213 canister. I don't advise using a canister as the return pump full time though. Purchase a real pump. The last thing you can do is just set both tanks up with canisters or hob filters.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by flight50; 08-18-2014 at 05:31 AM. Reason: -
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 05:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I kept angles in a 29 some years ago. As juniviles they loved it, as adults they were cramped and barely had enough room to show off their fins. IMHO Angles would be happier in the 55 than they would be in a 29.

The dwarf chiclids as well would appriciate having more room.

If your going to go planted the 55 would have more planting area.

Why not store the one you don't use?

Just my .02

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Keep both? Storage in LA?

You two are terrible enablers...I was hoping to get some insight. Probably about as effective as a recovering alcoholic looking for advice from a bar full of drunks.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Throw a piece of fabric over the 55 gal and use it for coffee table while running the 29 gal.(just kiddin).
This from a bachelor that uses wooden cable spools for end tables.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 05:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacory View Post
Keep both? Storage in LA?

You two are terrible enablers...I was hoping to get some insight. Probably about as effective as a recovering alcoholic looking for advice from a bar full of drunks.
As I WELL know alcoholism is more destructive than fish tanks, believe me. I've been in AA for 10 years now, I'm about 4 &1/2 years sober right now was almost 6 years sober before my 4 month relapse, AND I work in a drug and alcohol recovery center. There's way more destructive things you could do with your life.... So long as you don't call into work because your fish died.... Then you might have a problem
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I did not mean any offense by my comment. The analogy was meant to make light of the situation.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

15 yrs of serenity for me.
Gave up on AA bout 11 yrs ago due in large part to all the thirteen steppers.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacory View Post
I did not mean any offense by my comment. The analogy was meant to make light of the situation.
No offense taken. I was still trying to enable your MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
15 yrs of serenity for me.
Gave up on AA bout 11 yrs ago due in large part to all the thirteen steppers.

I haven't given up on AA in general, just AA in this town. None of the "old timers" have anything I want. They have NEVER moved beyond recovering to recovered They sit around and complain that the guys from the center come to the meeting and drink all their coffee and take their 30, 60, 90 day chips Silly me I thought it was about helping the new comer... I get more from my job (I work in a recovery center) than I do from these local meetings. I go to meetings when I go to the big city and visit my folks.

As for the thirteenth steppers I just keep them at arms length. Besides when you smash them about their behavior they tend to shy away from you
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Was the old timers opinions and sharing that carried the most weight for me.
Newcomers just wanted their court ordered papers signed sayin they was there and seldom stayed for the meetings.
Miss the strong coffee and genuine expression's shared by the few genuine folks that came rain or shine.
Sure some folks were drunk as [censored][censored][censored][censored]house rat's when they arrived at the meetings,other's were as mentioned there under court order's ,but I'd still float my stick with the oldtimer's any day for it was them who would nod in the affirmative when I began to share with them all that I had lost (job's,2 wives,several autos).
Hang in there,it get's easier.
Your alway's gonna be recovering.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 07:33 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Set them both up. You NEED both tanks. You WANT both tanks. There is no such thing as MTS and everyone here knows that.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 09:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Was the old timers opinions and sharing that carried the most weight for me.
Newcomers just wanted their court ordered papers signed sayin they was there and seldom stayed for the meetings.
Miss the strong coffee and genuine expression's shared by the few genuine folks that came rain or shine.
Sure some folks were drunk as [censored][censored][censored][censored]house rat's when they arrived at the meetings,other's were as mentioned there under court order's ,but I'd still float my stick with the oldtimer's any day for it was them who would nod in the affirmative when I began to share with them all that I had lost (job's,2 wives,several autos).
Hang in there,it get's easier.
Your alway's gonna be recovering.
BB pg 132
Quote:
"We have recovered and have been given the power to help others."
Straight from the book. I know AA from the big city and it's completely different from the small town I'm in. Like I said I've been around for 10 years now. The OTs here have nothing I want except longevity, but if that's what I'm going to be like with 20,30+ I'll go start drinking again. These guys here are miserable. I'll keep my happy, joyous and free thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Set them both up. You NEED both tanks. You WANT both tanks. There is no such thing as MTS and everyone here knows that.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm sorry, but you are all horrible people...

got me rearranging furniture on a monday night trying to figure out if it will "all work"...

Geeez, don't you know I gotta go to work tomorrow?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 04:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Roflmao
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 04:15 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Thank you for the compliment.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode