Sharing My Light Hanging Assembly / Height Concern... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Sharing My Light Hanging Assembly / Height Concern...

hey guys!
i know theres a few diferent variations and ways one can go but i just wanna share what i did this weekend.
i just got my new light (courtesy of AnotherHobby whom i traded mine with), and hit up the hardware store for some ideas. i grabbed 2 pcs of wood (1x2 i think), went back home and got to work... here are the results...

Can you guys please give me some feedback about the HEIGHT of the light please as im not too sure if its okat there. i made the thing so that the height can be adjusted two different heights. at the top position its 9" and at the bottom position its 4 1/2". is the 4 1/2" okay for everyday normal use? thats my concern here. i can always change and alter the hanging height by adding / removing links from the chain.
thanks all.

p.s
the light is a "Finnex Ray2 Aquarium LED Daylight"

Click image for larger version

Name:	lght1.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	358234

Name:	lght2.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	358242

Name:	lght3.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	358250

Name:	lght4.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	358258

Name:	lght5.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	358266

Last edited by luky; 08-17-2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Details Of Lighting Fixture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 08:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How many inches from the light to the bottom of the tank? I couldn't imagine it having any problems unless your tank is really shallow, but it doesn't look like it is.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

hi!
its 22" to the substrate at the lower position.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 10:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Nice work on the hanging setup. At 24" the Ray 2 puts out 26 PAR, and at 18" it puts out 39 PAR. I'm going to guess that at 22" you are in the neighborhood of 30 PAR (or actually probably a little lower with the glass top), which is a good number since you aren't running CO2 — unless my assumption is incorrect and you are. I'd keep it at the lower hanging point. Another 4.5" higher is going drop your power quite a bit.

10-30 PAR is considered low light, which you'll be just on the high side of. You may want to look at dosing glut (which is Seachem Excel or Metricide 14). It would help. I'd recommend look into both products. They are the same thing, but different concentrations, with Metricide being FAR cheaper. There are a TON of plants that'll grow at 30 PAR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

hey AnotherHobby!!,
thanks for chiming in!

yes im currently NOT running CO2 but i will be in the near future. i placed the order for the skimmer so that i stop obsessing about dust and dog hair in the water and allow myself to go topless so the glass will be gone within the nxt 2 - 3 days.

gauging by what you posted, i think im going to add a few links to the chain to drop it a little and increase the power just a smidge.
just got back - its currently at 3" now from the glass to the bottom of the light / 20" from the substrate to the bottom of the light. not a huge difference, but i would imagine it bumped me up a little for what its worth. let me know if i should go a little lower.
and about the products you mentioned ...
im using api co2 booster. is this considered the same as the stuff you were suggesting above, or different types of products?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 01:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Regarding API CO2 booster, it's all the same stuff (glutaraldehyde), and Metracide 14 is by FAR the cheapest. I got it shipped for $21 for a gallon. Metricide 14 is 60% stronger per mL, so you'll either need to dilute it to match the dosing amount of Excel, or do the math to see how much you should dose. The breakdown is 1.5% glutaraldehyde for Excel, versus 2.5% for Metricide 14. I don't know the concentration of the API stuff.

For future reference, you might find this helpful. It shows PAR at depth and width for your light:

•
•

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode