Filter Baffle? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Filter Baffle?

Hey there! I'm fish-in cycling my 10G tank with three minnows to be replaced by six pea puffers when the tank is ready. I have an Aqueon QuietFlow 20 HOB filter. From what I've read pea puffers prefer a lighter water flow and this one is a bit strong. It's also a bit noisy because of a small crack in the very top of the glass that just barely prevents me from filling the tank enough to completely cover the outflow.

Water Bottle: I've read about it and watched videos and I don't like the idea of having one in my tank, even though it's convenient, mostly because of the sharp edges.

Sponges in the filter intake and/or outflow: I've read a bit on this and it seems solid, but I would like some other opinions before trying it.

Pantyhose over the intake: I like the fin-safety feature this could add, though I'm not sure how much it will help flow.

Does anyone have any other filter baffle suggestions or thoughts on these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
First off: 10g is NOT enough room for 6 pea puffers, they will become aggressive/territorial as they become adults and need a minimum of 3g per a fish. Even in a densely planted 10g tank I would strongly advice against that many puffers.

I've kept sponged over the intake of my HOB before (just cut up a thick piece of left over filter sponge I had and shoved it on) when I kept a betta so its fins wouldn't get caught/ripped. I also put a cut piece of sponge over the outflow and planted it with riccia, did great for reducing the flow to something the betta could tolerate (betta and pea puffers don't like strong flow/currents), ricca gave a nice bit of color so it wasn't just ugly hob with sponge on the outflow it was planted (also have house plants in the hob).
I will say the downside to having a pre-filter/foam cover on the intake is it will get clogged eventually with poo and plant matter/etc and reduce flow more. Best thing to do is just remove the foam at the beginning of every water change and rinse/rub all the gunk off then put it back on and do the water removal (may see some extra debris shoot out of the filter from taking the sponge off) to prevent it from getting clogged. Since I had a thick lush carpet of riccia growing on the sponge over the outflow I never saw mulm build up and it didn't shoot any loose gunk out of the filter.

I've not tried keeping pantyhose in the tank for extended periods before, I always worry about a fish getting its fins, scales, or hide (catfish) stuck against it. But I've used it to catch mulm after cleaning filters when they're turned back on, but its removed within a minute.

Never tried water bottle..not too keen on having my tank look like a littered park pond

You can look into stainless steel mesh pre-fitlters a lot of shrimp owners use them to keep from loosing shrimplets. A few pt members sell them here in the for sale section, but I cannot recall their names. I have no clue how often this would need cleaned to prevent clogging/overkill flow reduction as I've not used it myself.

You can also diy a stainless steel spillway for the outflow and grow more plants in there for reduced flow and more nitrate absorption.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
A pre-filter sponge on the intake tube works well and gives you the advantage of the extra biological filtration. When removing it for rinsing use a net or a stocking around it to keep the gunk from falling off into the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode