Anyone experienced/w changing a tank/w high light to low light ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Anyone experienced/w changing a tank/w high light to low light ?

Speculation welcomed but hoping for someone who had a high light/Excel tank and dropped it to med or low light.
I was once told that if you remove the Excel it crashes.
But I want to lower the light also.
I have a 10g/w 2x T5 bulbs= 95-105 PAR from Hoppy's chart.
So I'm either going/w one or two T8 bulbs on this. That part I am deciding on right now including info from this thread.
I also have a 10g/w 2x T8 bulbs but no Excel and it gets more algae than this one on the glass. But the T5 tank has Cladophora and I can't get rid of it so I'm willing to throw in the towel on the T5 bulbs.
NO CO2...please don't waste time trying to talk me into it.
I will not put myself through the nonsense of DIY and can't afford injected nor do I want fast growing plants.
Minimal maintenence is the goal. I have been looking in the low tech part of the forum and those plants are more than good enough for me.
So if you have changed a tank from high to low light will you help me with some info on what to expect ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 08:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I've done it numerous times on several tanks. Everytime I "start" a tank or do a big rescape I dose excel and large amounts of DIY C02 with high light. Once the tank reaches a full grown in state I stop the C02, lower the light, only dose ferts twice a month, and gradually cut down the Excel until I'm at 0 or the occasional spot dosing.
I do a big water change to eliminate any leftover ferts in the water column and a good gravel vac.

That tank really tied the room together
Fraternity of Dirt
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
Member #13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
It would help to know what plants you have. I have high light fixtures but only run them at half capacity. My reds aren't stunning reds, but the tops get decent color. I don't run CO2 either and use little to no ferts. Some of your higher light requirement plants will stop thriving. Other than that, I doubt there will be a ton of difference. I didn't notice anything other than a shift in the pattern of growth between species when I turned mine down.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I stopped diy co2and excel with no problems. Only have a few stem plants left but I have fallen in love with crypts and anubias. You can check out my thread and see when I stopped co2 and see I had no issues. I didn't change lights but found I definately needed a full cover of floaters to prevent algae. I tried messing with light height, duration, one light on one light off, siesta period, and a 3 hour high light(both lights on) with the rest of the time being only one light. Full cover of floater, duckweed and water lettuce was the only cure I found.

If in doubt, add more plants!

My not-enough-plants-but-not-enough-space-to-put-anymore-so-will-start-going-up-box-of-water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jeepguy; 08-17-2014 at 04:04 AM. Reason: More

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode