New to the hobby and wondering about shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to the hobby and wondering about shrimp

Hello everyone, I am newish to the hobby and I'm starting a planted tank. I see a lot of people talking about shrimp and I'd like to know what they are good for. I've never had any before, and I'm thinking about getting some.

My set up so far is a 90 gal tank, fluval fx5, marineland led plant light with timer and a co2 set up. Thanks for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Usually kept in smaller tanks due to the fact that most fish will eat them so they
require a one animal type only tank. So people don't set asside a large tank just for them...usually. After you see some of the pictures you will know why, but might still not understand the price of some of them...

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 12:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Set it up with plenty of plants.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have 4 plants right now an I'm trying to get some moss to grow on some drift wood. Plus I have 30 small fish at the moment.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Unless there's lots of places to hide...shrimp wouldn't stand a chance in a tank with 30 fish. even with tons of cover...you'd never see them. I had shrimp in a 75 gallon tank with fewer fish and thought I lost them all when I accidentally gassed the tank with CO2 and when I tore the tank down...there was a bunch of shrimp in there...but I never saw them because they always hid. So really there was no point in having them other then maybe the slight cleanup work that they did. IMO...if you want shrimp, setup a shrimp only tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you for everyone's input an advice.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Even a small 5g tank would make a great shrimp tank and not take up a lot of resources. You can get rimless tanks pretty cheap and all you'd need is a sponge filter (not the most sightly thing but pretty easy to hide) and a light. A good rockscape and a few low light plants and you're in business. Get some higher grade cherries or something and in 6 months you'll be loaded with shrimp.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll look into that. For the time being I need to finish my 90gal set up. I'm trying to deside what plants to get. I've never done plants before, so it's a big learning curve. Right now I have narrow leaf java fern an some Xmas moss.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 03:05 AM
Planted Member

I have a thriving Amano Shrimp colony in my heavily planted 56 gallon tank. Have two large angels, rams, appistos and other fish. The Amanos do just fine and are recognized for going after any black beard algae.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I started with ghost shimp at first. They are a little more fragile than red cherry shrimp, probably because of how they are treated at the pet store, but they are cheap.

Now I have RCS in my 75 gallon paludarium. The pygmy corys, emerald eyed rasboras, otos, and the farlowella don't seem to bother them. The shrimp are easily the most visible inhabitants.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a 90 gallon with 150 tetras and rasboras. I also have about 30 amano shrimp that were added after the fish. When its feeding time the amanos are more aggressive than my fish.

The fastest way to success is patience.

Best,

Joe
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 06:24 AM
Algae Grower

If the fish are small, larger shrimp such as Amano will do okay. They are really interesting to watch and do a good job cleaning algae off plants and driftwood. Any fish larger than two inches will probably pose a very big danger to shrimp.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 03:29 PM

I have a 30 gal guppy only tank that has cherry shrimp. I started with 20 and now I have countless. Fish eat a few but the shrimp have live babies and enough find cover to survive.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As of right now I have 3 clown loachs, 3 red tailed sharks, 10 neons, 6 glass bloodfin tetras, 6 leopard tetras and 2 bottom feeders
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
I started with ghost shimp at first. They are a little more fragile than red cherry shrimp, probably because of how they are treated at the pet store, but they are cheap.
I'll second ghost shrimp. Petsmart sells them for $0.37 each. They're commonly used to as live food, but the ones from my local Petsmart (at least when I purchased them) were surpisingly healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
As of right now I have 3 clown loachs, 3 red tailed sharks, 10 neons, 6 glass bloodfin tetras, 6 leopard tetras and 2 bottom feeders
Definitely wouldn't put any shrimp in with clown loaches or the sharks until you put in a lot of hiding places. Shrimp are quick, but I doubt they would last long.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode