Thinking of starting an aquarium club at my school- suggestions appreciated! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Thinking of starting an aquarium club at my school- suggestions appreciated!

So I'm changing careers from working two part-time jobs (biologist and biology professor) to a full-time teacher at a charter middle school close to DC. Hooray for job security!

My principal is really big on clubs, and expects most, if not all, teachers to sponsor one. Of course my first thought was to start a planted aquarium club. After all, there are SO many lessons that are applicable!

Now I may not be able to do this. But if I do you should expect to see a journal!

What I need are good suggestions: tank setups, lessons, and timetables.

Cheap is the key, and I'll only have 9 months. My inclination is to do 10 gallon low-tech tanks with an inert sub; probably black diamond. Sponge filters. The easiest plants that actually GROW in 9 months: Bacopa, wisteria, crypts, mosses, dwarf sag, sunset hygro, myrio m, potagemeton, etc. Please suggest others.

What lights? My thoughts are probably to go with CFLs.

I don't know whether I'll let the students pick livestock or not. My inclination is RCS, male guppies, dwarf corys, white clouds, i.e., the more resilient species are the best.

The objective here is to A) do education, and B) get some more people into the hobby.

All thoughts are welcome.

Many thanks!

Method

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 04:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
So I'm changing careers from working two part-time jobs (biologist and biology professor) to a full-time teacher at a charter middle school close to DC. Hooray for job security!

My principal is really big on clubs, and expects most, if not all, teachers to sponsor one. Of course my first thought was to start a planted aquarium club. After all, there are SO many lessons that are applicable!

Now I may not be able to do this. But if I do you should expect to see a journal!

What I need are good suggestions: tank setups, lessons, and timetables.

Cheap is the key, and I'll only have 9 months. My inclination is to do 10 gallon low-tech tanks with an inert sub; probably black diamond. Sponge filters. The easiest plants that actually GROW in 9 months: Bacopa, wisteria, crypts, mosses, dwarf sag, sunset hygro, myrio m, potagemeton, etc. Please suggest others.

What lights? My thoughts are probably to go with CFLs.

I don't know whether I'll let the students pick livestock or not. My inclination is RCS, male guppies, dwarf corys, white clouds, i.e., the more resilient species are the best.

The objective here is to A) do education, and B) get some more people into the hobby.

All thoughts are welcome.

Many thanks!

Method

Why not just an aquatics club? Would appeal to broader audience and allow you to do more cool things. Like how many students would like to know at least a bit more about anemones and saltwater. Attempt to do small self substain ecosystems? Seen a selfsubstaining SW reef jar that had me amazed.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 06:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think this is a good idea but I have a suggestion...

Try to create natural biotopes. Maybe do stuff with killifish and show their life cycle from egg to adult, that can be done in less than 9 months.

I created a natural 10 gallon African biotope with stuff I had -- peat moss, branches, rocks. You could even do a biotope from your area of the world with native water plants and mimic either a small stream or a pond or something from you area.

I'm not exactly sure how many kids would join an aquarium club with no prior exposure, but you should definitely try to work it into the curriculum if you can.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 02:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I wish my school would have had something like this. I would just do an aquatics club and not narrow it down to planted tanks. Do a project on the difference between an African rift tank and a SA cichlid set up, maybe stress plants out to see how uptake is done. There is a lot you could do with this. Good luck!

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 05:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Definitely do a general aquatics club. I started out FW but had switched to SW by HS(and now I'm back to FW, lol). You could do frogs, tadpoles to adults(or is that stretching it a bit?). My mom did that with me when I was a kid and I loved it.
There are certainly some kids that will be interested, I took marine bio in HS and (I was homeschooled) my mom and I set up a nano reef to go with the course. I kept a reef tank running for five years after that, and have always been passionate about aquatics. Please do this and keep us posted!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update:

In addition to 6th and 7th grade science I've been scheduled for an elective course for each of these grades. My principal agreed to let me teach a class on aquatic / marine biology with an emphasis on having the kids keep tanks. The kids pick the course so hopefully they'll all be interested...

I'll have two classes of 25 kids. My initial impulse is to go with ten 10 G tanks, one for a group of 5 students. Probably the best way to go is CHEAP. CFL lights, black diamond sub, sponge filters (or mattenfilters), cheap plants, RCS and cheap fish.

Where do I get this stuff cheaply?

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

SunSun Pimp #66
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I would write it up (briefly- half a page) and present it to the owner or manager of all the local fish stores. Ask each one if they will supply one set up, and have their business card prominently displayed on their tank for back to school night and similar events.

Next, cruise craigs list and free cycle. Post an ad at each site, specifying that it is for a school.

Next, find out what local aquarium clubs are in the area (wide area- 50 mile radius perhaps) and present the same info to them, ask for donations.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I would write it up (briefly- half a page) and present it to the owner or manager of all the local fish stores. Ask each one if they will supply one set up, and have their business card prominently displayed on their tank for back to school night and similar events.

Next, cruise craigs list and free cycle. Post an ad at each site, specifying that it is for a school.

Next, find out what local aquarium clubs are in the area (wide area- 50 mile radius perhaps) and present the same info to them, ask for donations.
Brilliant. Thanks!!!

SunSun Pimp #66
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

We've got ten 10 G tanks and 10 Aquaclear 20 filters, donated from a local LFS. Substrate is all black diamond or kitty litter. Now we just need plants! If anyone has any they'd like to donate or sell for shipping costs my 35 Aquarium Science students and I would be super appreciative!

As soon as we get the tanks planted I'll be taking a bunch of pictures.

SunSun Pimp #66
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 02:51 PM
Planted Member

I'll have a pile of NOID green crypts in a few weeks. Y'all are welcome to them.

They'll probably melt, but they're a few years old and should come back.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaky Filter View Post
I'll have a pile of NOID green crypts in a few weeks. Y'all are welcome to them.

They'll probably melt, but they're a few years old and should come back.
Crypts are perfect! Such an easy plant for beginners. Thanks for the offer!

SunSun Pimp #66
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

One important thing. Make sure you have a place the fish can go to if somebody wants to get rid of them after they're done. Offer to take them or something.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
One important thing. Make sure you have a place the fish can go to if somebody wants to get rid of them after they're done. Offer to take them or something.
Betta132 certainly has a wise note of precaution here. You're working with more than just a single class project tank. Along the same lines, you ought to think about what to do with them all in June.

My wife teaches middle school reading, but the science teacher on her team got wind of my angels and I gladly donated a bunch last year. While most made it through the school year, the following august the feedback went something like "there may be a couple left".

A few weeks ago, I donated a mated pair of angels. Should make for a neat class project, but haven't heard a peep.

I really hope this goes well! If you were a little closer I would have lots of stuff for you.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good points both. I have enough space and enough empty tanks at home that I can home the fish over the summer. If certain students demonstrate an aptitude for fish keeping, and if their parents are amenable, I may send some fish home with them so long as they provide me with a look at their setup. I've been in the hobby for years, so from day one I've stressed to the students that the care of the livestock and plants is our number one priority.

Bump:

SunSun Pimp #66
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you just get tetras and such, community-compatible fish, you could very well just keep them all in a big rubbermaid tub/pond thing.
I suggest you try oil/honeycomb catfish. Small cats, maybe 2" or so, very funny and not picky. They can be kept alone, though they seem to prefer a few companions. They'll eat very small fish, maybe, but only things like fry-size stuff.
You could keep a few with some endler's livebearers to illustrate survival of the fittest? Stick moss and stuff in there and let the fry try to survive.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode