Macro&Micro Nutrients - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Macro&Micro Nutrients

Hey All,
I planted my tank 6 days ago and put fert tabs in with the plants.
I used Flourish Tabs by Seachem(Micro Elements,Trace Elements and Other Nutrients).I installed a CO2 unit today with a drop checker,all seemed good there.I am using low to medium light 8000k.The light is 16" above the substrate in a 29g tank.I have 4 neon Barbs.Do I need to dose with liquid ferts?Perhaps liquid ferts with macro or micro nutrients?Any guidance in this area would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 12:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
At some point you'll probably need extra fertilizer, your fish can supply some but depending on your plant load, light and C02 you may need extra. Liquid ferts are fine, I recommend dry ferts. They are cheaper and last a long time. There are several guys on here that sell them and there are some websites like greenleafaquariums that have every fert you need. I recommend buying each fert individually you'll have more control over what goes in the tank. Here's a list of what I have to give you an idea of what you may need: Plantex B (micro's), KN03, K2S04, KH2S04 (macro's), MGS04, CAS04 (GH booster), and FE chelated 11%. All these cost me around $35. Again you may not need all of these depending on your fish load and water source.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 02:23 AM
Planted Member

How does a person determine what they need to use in their tank?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 05:32 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuthatch View Post
How does a person determine what they need to use in their tank?
Most likely, you will need the following:

Plantex CSM + B
KNO3
K2SO4
KH2PO4 (not mentioned above).

Depending on your water conditions, you may or may not need the MgSo4 and CaSO4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
Here's a list of what I have to give you an idea of what you may need: Plantex B (micro's), KN03, K2S04, KH2S04 (macro's), MGS04, CAS04 (GH booster), and FE chelated 11%. All these cost me around $35.
Not to be too nitpicky, but the chemical formulas do not have zeros in them, and are all Os.

Also, some capitalization is incorrect (MGSO4 vs MgSO4, MG is not an element).

Finally, KH2SO4 does not exist; perhaps you meant KH2PO4.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question Good Nutrient Store

Thanks for all the nutrient info folks,much appreciated.Where would be a good store to get nutrients?
Cheers
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's a couple of good links to help;
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ing-guide.html
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...-for-Test-Kits

I bought my dry ferts from Ebay, lots of choice. You want the fine milled stuff and 2 lbs of KNO3 and 1 lb of KH2PO4 should keep you going for a goodly time. To that add some root tabs of any known aquarium brand and some liquid micro ferts such as Flourish Comprehensive.

Other things you may wish to consider are the use of Excel, especially in terms of its algicide qualities but do more research before deciding. Some chelated iron and/or potassium if your plants show signs that indicate the need, but you won't see this for a while yet.

Last edited by Steve002; 08-15-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: added info
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smile Links

Thanks Steve002,
There's some good links and advice,very much appreciated.
Cheers
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Algae Grower

Check out member nilocg in the for sale section. He's got the best prices on all the ferts and is great. I just bought a package from him and you can't beat it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalaxR View Post
Check out member nilocg in the for sale section. He's got the best prices on all the ferts and is great. I just bought a package from him and you can't beat it.
Thanks WalaxR,I'll be checking that out.
Cheers
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smile Good Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalaxR View Post
Hi WalaxR,
I'm in process of ordering ferts from nilocg,his prices seem great.I had to order the kn03 from Canada because it's not possible to ship that over the boarder,but everything else he'll send me.
Cheers

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Most likely, you will need the following:

Plantex CSM + B
KNO3
K2SO4
KH2PO4 (not mentioned above).

Depending on your water conditions, you may or may not need the MgSo4 and CaSO4.

Not to be too nitpicky, but the chemical formulas do not have zeros in them, and are all Os.

Also, some capitalization is incorrect (MGSO4 vs MgSO4, MG is not an element).

Finally, KH2SO4 does not exist; perhaps you meant KH2PO4.
Hi Darkblade48,
I ordered everything on your "Most likely,you will need" list.I did have a question regarding dosing.I'm using low to medium light as well as co2,with less light would I dose less frequently,say 2 times a week instead of three?
Cheers
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova777 View Post
did have a question regarding dosing.I'm using low to medium light as well as co2,with less light would I dose less frequently,say 2 times a week instead of three?
Cheers
Yes, this is possible. It will depend what fertilization regimen you want to follow. Most people use EI (or modified EI) so that the amount of fertilizers in the water column is not limiting.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...urishTabs.html

Flourish tabs are a bit low in potassium. Other than that, I would let things go until some nutrient deficiencies show up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode