Anubias and Java Ferns - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Anubias and Java Ferns

Hey All,
I recently planted my tank about 6 days ago.I planted everything in the substrate and now I'm reading that if I put Anubias and java Ferns' roots into the substrate,that I will kill them in the end.Perhaps
I should get some rocks and driftwood for these plants.I've seen a little browning on the Java Ferns, the Anubias still look fine.I would really appreciate some input here for the sake of the plants.Thanks
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The Rhysome is a stem looking thing which runs cross the bottom of te leaves and the roots come down off of it. Easier to see on the Java Fern.
Look on e-bay for plants in "Pets & quariums" and look at how those plants look that are sold already on wood or rock. Easy to tie to a branch with thread around the branch and the Rhysome. Do not tie tightly. Using cotton thread(hard to find now) will allow you to just let it rot off.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:44 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
The roots can go in the substrate, just not the rhizome. The rhizome is the bulb-ish looking part from which the roots and leaves originate. It needs to be left unburied. Having said that, you cant go wrong attaching them to rocks or driftwood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You could also just set them on top of the substrate, and eventually they will put roots into it.

Or, if you have a rock or some driftwood, you could tie them onto it, use a rubberband, or superglue.

Also, the leaves on java fern tend to turn brown as they get older, that's nothing to worry about.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
If the plants have long enough roots that planting just the roots alone into the substrate while leaving the rhizome exposed will secure them you're fine. I've had several of both plants positioned so the rhizome is sitting on the substrate surface with of issues as well.

Bump: Also, if you leave the browning Java Fern leaves, it's quite likely that they will produce baby java ferns from the spores along the underside of the leaf

RAOK Club #24
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Ive grown anubias with the roots buried. Just make sure you don't bury the rhizome and you'll be fine.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Exclamation Time for Some Driftwood

Hey All,
Wow,thanks for all the responses folks.I'm thinking of getting some driftwood this weekend,although seeing as cotton thread is hard to come by;Would nylon fishing line be ok(not tied to tightly of course)?
Cheers
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 01:48 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Fishing line is fine. So is the common sewing thread you find today, even though it's 50% polyester now (or whatever). The only difference is that it doesnt to rot and disintegrate on it's own like all cotton thread. It will eventually, just not in a month or two like 100% cotton.

Fishing line doesnt disintegrate either, so it just depends on which one you prefer working with. Personally I like using thread if Im working outside the tank. Fishing line is easier to wrap and tie underwater, like adding something to driftwood that is already in place in a full tank.

Last edited by burr740; 08-15-2014 at 02:05 AM. Reason: .
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good Info

Thanks Burr740,
There's some good info here.I'll try to get those Anubias tied off this weekend.
Cheers
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Anubis is my favorite plant family. As everyone says tie it to something and make sure the rhizome isn't buried. You may have to cut off some of the existing roots to get the rhizome to lay flat on whatever your tying it to. But I'll suggest something else and that is to tie them off on a branch or a rock well above the substrate. What the plant ends up doing is sending down roots towards the substrate that look really great as they get plentiful. It makes the plant look really interesting.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
100% with Steve002 on that one. Go to you tube and search "Most Beautiful Aquascapes" and go to 5:50 on it to see one that looks just like he said.
That is my favorite Aquascape tank.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I use gel super glue it works awesome

Jason

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smile Anubias Tied to Driftwood

Thanks everyone for all the great info you posted.This afternoon,I tied
about 7 anubias to some "decorative driftwood"It's really a décor immatation of driftwood,the shape is really nice and suits my purpose.As for the anubias,most of the rizones seem to be healthy,there is one that does not look likely,still I tied it with the others and will try to save it.
Cheers

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode