Planted Tank Planaria problem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted Tank Planaria problem

PH KH GH NO3- NO2- NH3/NH4+
6.4 50 125 50 0 0

This is my first post in the forum. Yay!

Anyway, this is my tank and it is my first time to keep shrimps and maintain a planted tank. Here is what happened:

2 months ago: I had the new tank filled with plants except the carpeting Hairgrass. I introduced 3 Crystal Red shrimps and there were very happy. I fed them with the Hikari Shrimp Cuisine and everything was fine.

1 month ago: I started growing Hairgrass in my tank. I immediately felt it became difficult to clean the substrates, but according to some articles the plants with absorb left over nutrients so I only have to clean the substrates lightly.

2 weeks ago: I put 3 Otto catfishes inside my tank and I placed a feeding plate (as shown on the lower right corner in my photo)with some shrimps food and algae wafers on it. I thought that the shrimps will swim up to the plate and eat with the Otto. After a few days, it seemed the shrimps were scared of the Ottos and refused to swim up to the feeding plate. However, I didn't pay too much attention as I saw people feed their CRSs with the Ottos on the same feeding plate

1 week ago: 1 of the 3 CRS died and I was very surprised. However, I didn't know the reason so I just wait and see.

3 days ago: Another CRS died and I think it is died of hunger. So instead of leaving the food on the feeding plate, I just dropped the foods (Shrimp Cuisine) on the water surface and let them sink. Some foods were stuck inside the carpet and I think it would be difficult for the shrimp to eat it.

Today: I saw 5 Planarias on my tank glass. I don't know what to do. I have heard they could kill the CRS. Now I am very confused whether they killed my CRS and did the CRS died because of starving. However, Planarias outbreak generally means overfeeding. But It is very difficult for me to clean the gravel as my tank is now full of hairgrass - I thought the plants will absorb the leftover anyway. I saw people put a feeding plate in a planted tank to avoid food sinking inside the gravel but my tank is very small and it seems my tank would look awkward if I dig a hole put a plate in the middle. I am very confused. Please help

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Gordon

Last edited by gordonf35; 08-13-2014 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Sorry about your shrimp. I'm not sure what killed the shrimp for sure but I bet it wasn't hunger, mostly likely a water quality issue. N03 50ppm if I'm reading correctly is probably what did it. Ph 6.4, KH 50, Gh 125, N03 50, N02 and Ammonia 0 seems like they were poison by nitrates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by greaser84; 08-13-2014 at 11:25 PM. Reason: add
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
Sorry about your shrimp. I'm not sure what killed the shrimp but I bet it wasn't hunger, mostly likely a water quality issue. N03 50ppm if I'm reading correctly is probably what did it. Ph 6.4, KH 50, Gh 125, N03 50, N02 and Ammonia 0 seems like they were poison by nitrates.
Thanks for your help. I am using those testing strips so it may not be accurate. Actually the colour of the strips is different to the printed scale so it is very difficult to tell whether it is 50 or not. Shall a invest on a better testing kit?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonf35 View Post
Thanks for your help. I am using those testing strips so it may not be accurate. Actually the colour of the strips is different to the printed scale so it is very difficult to tell whether it is 50 or not. Shall a invest on a better testing kit?
Ya the strips are very inaccurate you may or may not have 50 ppm nitrates. You want the nitrates as low as possible. Left over food can contribute to ammonia nitrites and nitrates especially in a small tank. The liquid test are much more accurate then the strip test. I recommend calibrating your test kits for the best possible reading. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ht=calibration Do a water change and try to remove as much leftover food as possible. You can always bring a water sample to your local fish shop for testing as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Do you think it would be better if I remove my carpet plant and put a feeding tray to control the food waste? As it is a very small tank, it would be very weird if the carpet is not covering all substrates but leaving an area for the feeding tray. So I would rather keep the carpet or remove it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Planaria are not a result of overfeeding, they are a result of mere import just like several strains of algae. you have to import some invaders having no connection to nutrients, planaria are in that group

what happens is this

I never had them for 20 yrs of planted tank keeping until I started keeping cherry shrimp or in your case caridinas

imo they have to be gut vectored i dont know, maybe they hitchhike in physically on shrimp or shrimp related substrata (typical pest vectoring across marine and fw aquariums) but either way shrimp = some planaria, and then those tanks with excellent husbandry who do prevent lots of excess waste are keeping planaria in check through no abundance of feed, but you also get a baseline colony of them that will never die and indeed multiply

ff six months

your in the pest section saying why why why

and garfieldnfish answered my own thread about why why why

sold me goat de wormer liquid

strangest thing Ive ever put into a living biome, freaking out kinda
1 ml per 5 gals of water each water change, all planaria dead within two weeks.

choose your battle options lol, but the swarm is coming you can bet that just a matter of time

sure these planaria can be part of any planted system. but for me, it was exclusively a shrimp prob

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode