Potential tank stand or complete disaster - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Potential tank stand or complete disaster

Really want to set up a small low tech planted betta tank. Natural sunlight, moss...I have plans.

What I don't have is space. This http://www.containerstore.com/shop/s...008627&N=77642 is occupying the only spot that will get the light I need. Think it'll support a 5 gallon tank. Or am I out of my mind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 10:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I don't think your out of your mind, but its hard to say whether it will hold long term just by the pictures. Its made of cast iron and they claim it can hold books. My 5 gallon weighs about 50lbs. Take it outside and stack something heavy on it for a couple days see if it starts to sag. Also cut a piece of pilewood to fit on the shelf for added support. Pilewood is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to add extra support.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Look at the metro shelf systems, the regular or the commercial. Very customizable and strong. Our local Ace hardware also carries it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I suspect there is a fair amount of confusion about what cast iron is when they describe this as cast iron. I suspect steel is the more likely as it is easier to work and bend.
I would hesitate to recommend it as a tank shelf as I suspect the little metal nubs that stick out to support the shelves will bend down.
Might work but it might not?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I see it says for outdoor use, spray it with Rustoleum. This is a brand name of paint.

I do not see anything about the weight capacity.

I do see it is 'folding'. Wouldn't want it to fold up under the weight of the tank!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

There is no way that is made of cast iron. It has been both bent and welded and these are both very difficult to do on cast. None the less it looks to be plenty strong enough for a 5 gal tank. The only questionable part I can see is the part actually holding the shelves. You can't really tell how it is made from the pics, best I can discern is that it is a non-adjustable ear welded on to the upright. Five gals of water weigh about 41 1/2 lbs so with all the rest of the equipment/scape you'd be looking at 45 to 50 lbs total which means each of these attachments have to hold about 12 lbs each. It would be pretty flimsily built if they couldn't take that. Of a larger concern is its horizontal stability since you don't want the tank to be able to rock back and forth or you'll spill water from it. The shelf unit is not likely built to minimize horizontal movement so if you buy it you may have to add braces to minimize that movement.

Last edited by Steve002; 08-14-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added info
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Melissa d: Hi, my name is Melissa D. How may I help you?
You: Yeah I was looking at this 3-shelf iron folding bookcase and was wondering what the shelf weight limit is on this?
Melissa d: Hi Travis, I'll be happy to check. One moment while I grab my product book...You: Ok thanks.
Melissa d: Each shelf can support up to 60 pounds.
You: Ok, that you very much.
Melissa d: My pleasure, enjoy your day!
You: Same to you.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

As I say the shelves I'm sure will take the weight, the lateral stability is what you have to concern yourself with. There is no risk to a shelving unit being able to sway back and forth an 1" with a bunch of junk on it but it is quite another matter with a tank full of water on it. If you can anchor it to say a wall or something, or brace it with X braces or corner gussets then it will probably work. Then again you could buy something that is already made to work.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode