Help! Plants arriving but I broke my tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Help! Plants arriving but I broke my tank

So I ordered some plants for my first high tech setup. They are arriving tomorrow so I decided to clean out my tank tonight and set up the substrate in preparation. Of course I cracked the tank while cleaning it. I have ordered a new one but it will be 1-2 weeks before it arrives. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to best store the plants so that they don't die or turn to mush? Could I store them in some mason jars in a window? Or maybe put a light over the jars? The plants in question are as follows: Sagittaria subulata, Hemianthus callitrichoides ''Cuba,'' Fissidens, Bylxa Japonica, Pogostemon helferi Downoi, staurogyne Purple, Staurogyne Repens. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgnrygrl View Post
So I ordered some plants for my first high tech setup. They are arriving tomorrow so I decided to clean out my tank tonight and set up the substrate in preparation. Of course I cracked the tank while cleaning it. I have ordered a new one but it will be 1-2 weeks before it arrives. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to best store the plants so that they don't die or turn to mush? Could I store them in some mason jars in a window? Or maybe put a light over the jars? The plants in question are as follows: Sagittaria subulata, Hemianthus callitrichoides ''Cuba,'' Fissidens, Bylxa Japonica, Pogostemon helferi Downoi, staurogyne Purple, Staurogyne Repens. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Ten gallon at walmart

The fastest way to success is patience.

Best,

Joe
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadawg View Post
Ten gallon at walmart
Thanks for your response. My tank was a fluval edge. That's the complicating factor as I had to order that specific glass replacement. It's for my office so I don't think I could get away with a ten gallon open topped tank in there without running afoul of facilities. So the mason jar idea isn't feasible? I can dose with excel or fertilize too if that would do anything.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 03:30 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I imagine Aquadawg meant that you could pick up a cheap 10 gallon at walmart to keep the plants in & alive until the new tank comes...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 04:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
No need for an aquarium. Go to walmart and pick up a 18g tote for $4.99 and place the plants outside under some shade that gets indirect sunlight. I kept 30 crypt and 20 Jungle vals outside for 3 weeks with zero melt.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuthatch View Post
I imagine Aquadawg meant that you could pick up a cheap 10 gallon at walmart to keep the plants in & alive until the new tank comes...
+1... As a temp solution

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
No need for an aquarium. Go to walmart and pick up a 18g tote for $4.99 and place the plants outside under some shade that gets indirect sunlight. I kept 30 crypt and 20 Jungle vals outside for 3 weeks with zero melt.
And all for the incredibly low, low price of $4.99

The fastest way to success is patience.

Best,

Joe
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to keep them inside by a window since I live in the city and have no outdoor space. It's why I like to do my gardening indoors . Do I need to plant these guys in some substrate or can they just float in there?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would buy a ten gallon tank instead, at least you can convert this to a hospital or grow out for plants.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Yeah, get a bucket, they'll be fine floating.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode