Table Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Table Aquarium

Do you have a table aquarium?

Show us some pictures.

I'm kicking around the idea since I need a new coffee table.

It would have to have a 4 foot square top to be useful. 18-20 deep to get the top up to a comfort level.

How would you light it to keep plants?

Would LED strip lights across the top ruin the top view for you even though the plants are doing well?

Lights can be on during the day and accent lights on separately.

Filter can be kept behind an end table for easy maintenance and hard pipes hidden under a runner. Or just use a fountain filter.

Another scenario is to use a pendant light over an open top aquarium and have a 12" rim around it for food and drinks. Light would have to be raised for game day.

Cheers!

-PhilipS ><>ļ

Mr50's, Killer Plants, Whiskey Pond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
My friend used to have an aquarium table with seahorses but they got rid of it because it was too hard to do maintenance on.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 08:38 AM
Algae Grower

I would go with a hanging or ceiling mounted led spotlight such as the Ecoxotics 50w cannon, or, perhaps a yard spotlight off eBay. If you get a high powered led with a very tight beam you should have no problems growing at least moderate light plants. Some of the outdoor led spotlights might work and are cheap enough to try. Another option, if you are good at diy, is to build your own. I've seen 50watt and higher leds being sold on ebay and also the heat sinks for them. I sure the guys in the DIY forum could help you out with materials and build. One more option that might work would be to use lights incorporated into the upper rim of the tank below the table top. They would need to be water-proofed and hidden from view from above so that they don't shine in your eyes when you are looking into it. I have seen some water-proof led light strips...I think Marineland has one now...that could be used as a supplemental lighting inside the tank on the rims...but, I doubt any of these water-proof lights are very powerful and would probably only be good for low light applications...however, teamed up with a ceiling spotlight...they might just work. Anyhoo...this is my $.03 worth!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Fraternity of Dirt #163
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Low tech 37g, 7.5g, 5x5 cube dirt tanks

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Do a search for some of the retail table tanks available as that may give you some ideas.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode