What's wrong with my baby tears? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What's wrong with my baby tears?

They don't seem to be pearling our rooting and they aren't as green as hey used to be!

What's going on?

I have a 3 gallon mr aqua bow front with a finnex planted plus over it. An ehiem 2211 as filtration. Ada Amazonia as substrate and a yeast co2 reacter.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	355801  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (149/100%)
Are you dosing any fertilizers and following a dosing regime?

What kind of co2 system are you using and what kind of lights ya got on? How long do you leave lights on? Any water pumps in the tank for circulation? Just a bunch of questions before I can help you out.

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Algae Grower

Look like its reaching for light.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Co2 diy reacter. I dose flourish excel and micros. You think they would be reaching for light with such a powerful light in a small tank?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 10:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hmm.. so basically you're doing the DIY homemade co2 using yeast, water, and sugar, right? Unfortunately, with DIY co2, sometimes it's just not consistent at all injecting co2, but luckily for you, you have a really small three gallon tank, so DIY co2 I think would be fine IMO. You say you dose micros? Well, you're going to need macros too.. You should look for a dosing schedule like Tom Barr's Estimative Index, using that regime, you will make sure the plants don't ever run out of nutrients. How much excel are you using? Just regular doses, right? Watch out and be careful not to overdose, because it might harm your plants, just a heads-up; and since you are already using DIY co2, it's not really necessary imo. So experiment, make sure your DIY co2 is consistent and working properly, improve water circulation without degassing co2, and get those dry ferts to mix and use. Good luck.

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Updated pictures of the tears. They are turning brown and see through.

Bump:

Bump: The tank has been set up for like 3 weeks withe Ada soil do I really need to dose anything right now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	356986  

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My hair grass seems to be the only thing that is growing (it's growing fast) the java moss and fern isn't doing good, the Anubis seems fine.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 12:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, since you are using co2 and higher lighting, ferts are definitely necessary. I still would recommend you dose ferts even if Aquasoil does help provide nutrients from sediment. HC, java fern, java moss, anubias needs some bit from the water column too, so yeah, start dosing soon or your HC will slowly die out eventually.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 12:55 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
How long did it take the HC to get like this (hours, 1-3 days, a week?)?

What is your ammonia reading in the tank right now?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

About a week. Today i did a big water change and the tears are pearling already. I bought the dry ferts from green leaf aquarium, should be here soon. Unfortunately I don't know the ammonia reading but I'll check tomorrow at work.

Bump: I also ordered a drop co2 checker
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 08:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
More co2

The fastest way to success is patience.

Best,

Joe
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just bought a legit co2 system. Should be here tomorrow.

Bump: I added an Otto last night and within 30 minutes he was upside down and dying. I moved him to planted tank down stairs. Maybe it is the ammonia!!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi brandolando4,

Assuming there enough light, since the plants were growing well up until recently and now floaters are not blocking the light. And assuming there are still sufficient nutrients in the ADA Aquasoil after 4 weeks which there should be.

Since the plants seemed to improve with the water change I am guessing you are not doing regular weekly water changes? Do you have soft water there in HI? If so I would guess either Mg, Ca, or both. Also I have found that the H.c. I grow likes water with some carbonate in it so I add NaHCO3 (Sodium Bicarbonate / Baking Soda).

BTW, I have found the most mosses do not seem to do well if I dose Excel / CO2 Booster / glutaraldehyde.

H.c. 'Cuba'

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 08-15-2014 at 02:38 AM. Reason: ..
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 02:44 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
If you've got a few ppm of ammonia then I'd say that is probably the reason. This is what I think the problem is without any other information. HC is particularly sensitive to ammonia (which is why no other plants are dying). Also newly setup aquasoil often keeps the ammonia concentration between 2-6 ppm. Water changes will temporarily reduce the ammonia levels and reduce the toxicity on the HC allowing them to pearl and recover for a bit until more leaches into the water column.

If not ammonia then I'd say the problem could be a lack of lighting.

Let us know what your NH4 reading is.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode