Wild aquatic plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wild aquatic plants

I have been seeing a lot of Cabomba, Hornwort, etc aquatic plants that I can buy from the LPS in the my local lake. Is it possible to take these plants and condition them for aquarium use? I have done some searching for an answer but I have been hearing conflicting statements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 03:56 AM
Algae Grower

What can it hurt? Either they die or they make it. Either way, they are free. I thought about doing this myself and creating a local biotope aquarium.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 04:07 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
The question is is it legal in your area? Sometimes it's not/

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
also remember, wild plants can bring wild nasties with them. Make sure they are cleaned in a dip before putting them in your tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wild aquatic plants

I've done this and have had no ill effects. Some plants will die others will grow but that's part of the fun. I even managed to find littorera uniflora, a plant that is very rare in the hobby but able to be found in some lakes in MN

Last edited by Thenoob; 08-11-2014 at 05:07 AM. Reason: changes
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
There are several things that might be bad for fish or pollute the tank so a QT tank would be a good thing to start. Once they were there for a few weeks, maybe in pots, they should show you any real nasties like snails that might be on them. Anything totally new requires a bit of caution but most of the time it can work fine.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by studda View Post
What can it hurt? Either they die or they make it. Either way, they are free. I thought about doing this myself and creating a local biotope aquarium.
I have really been wanting to create a "Native Missouri Streambed" biotope. I'm just searching for the right stream to be my inspiration. The Meramec is too polluted down in my area.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Algae Grower

I would like to do a springfed creek biotope. The water in them are pretty clear. I would need a chiller though.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstl View Post
I have really been wanting to create a "Native Missouri Streambed" biotope. I'm just searching for the right stream to be my inspiration. The Meramec is too polluted down in my area.
But it still grows nice plants unless things have changed a bunch. I loved Castlewood park for close but really liked the Piney better! Nature has a nice way of recovering -- if we would just stop beating her up all the time?

If you get as far out as Meramec State Park, There are several places where you can collect a few. Talk to the rangers and let them know what you are doing first, though. They told me that I could collect as long as it left no trace and I did not destroy any habitat. Plants in the river are pretty temporary anyway as they have to restart after heavy flooding. Beware the duckweed curse!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Duckweed will find you, no matter where you go!

I was thinking about heading out to Huzzah Valley and seeing what I can find. I'd like to have a pair of long-eared sunfish and maybe some darters and topminnows that are big enough to not get eaten by the sunfish. Maybe some smaller crays too.

It's fun to think about, but in all reality will probably need to wait til next year. I'm running out of summer and my wife is running out of patience for the tanks I already have!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 10:21 PM
Algae Grower

I live about ten minutes from Meramec State Park so it will be easy for me to get some plants and what not. I'm going to wait though until after I move.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 02:03 AM
Planted Member

You must do a dip. It could harbor parasites and bugs.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 02:23 AM
Algae Grower

What would you recommend to dip it in? Along with living ten minutes from the State Park, I also know where there are a lot of public accesses to creeks that I can get a lot of stuff from a very clean, springfed environment. I usually hit the creeks before fishing to seine for bait, so I'm pretty familiar with a lot of them.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes I read that you need to put it in a dip. I was reading something like 1 cap of bleach per 5 gallons of water. What would you suggest as the dip?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Dips are good or bad. I recommend a dip but often don't use one on my own. I have not found a reliable method to dip a variety of plants and not kill about half of them so I will let some of the others recommend what they find successful. Strength of dip, time and rinsing as well as the type of plant are all things to factor.
I'm not very good at that guessing game! I Qt and watch for what type bugggers or snails may come out and deal with them at that point.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode