Used tanks... leaking issues? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Used tanks... leaking issues?

So I picked up a used 75 gallon with a stand today for a great deal. Now I've never bought a used tank before but it seems to be in really good shape. The person who sold it to me said it doesn't leak. but that remains to be seen.

How exactly do I go about doing water tests for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I placed my tank on a flat surface I knew would stay dry for a while. My back patio. Filled it up in 20% increments every day and checked for leaks anywhere. I let it sit at 100% full for a few days after just to make sure. Set it up on my stand for another day or two.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Take it outside. Get it fairly level. Fill the sucker. Let it stay filled a day or two. If it leaks seal it. If not drain and get it setup inside. Show us pictures of your handiwork.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Will do
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

For future buys? There is sometimes a way to spot leakers before buying. Depends on the seller but those who would sell leaking tanks can sometimes be spotted by the reaction when you ask them if it leaks.
Also a tank that has a long term leak will often have mineral deposits down in the little crack between the bottom trim and glass. It is really hard to clean this when you are that sort of person, so it can be a telling point. Also I find it totally reasonable to ask them to fill it before you head over to look. Other times there are good reason they can't like if it is in a storage space but their answer can tell you things even then.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Never thought of that. That does make sense, though, if someone's actually lying. She seemed honest. But we shall see.

here's a few pics....

the whole setup. great tank. If everything goes well with the water tests, I really look forward to setting this bad boy up.

I did notice a few things, though...

A little chip here

It seems the trim or whatever it's called is kind of loose a little bit right here....

Now I don't know if these things are bad enough to be issues or not, but hopefully nothing enough to compromise the tank.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would want to take a look at the chip now and then for a while to verify that it is not turning into a crack but the loose trim is not a concern to me. If they wanted/needed to add structural strength, plastic would be a poor choice. Add a little silicone to kind of make it stay in place if it flops out?
Good to go. In thirty plus years, I've only bought one new tank.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have had tanks with chips like that before and nothing ever happened. Hopefully this will be the same case. If the tank by some chance breaks, cracks, or shatters, at least I have the stand and I can pick up an empty 75 from Petsmart.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Definitely let it sit 100% full for a week +. Could very well hold water fine - trim should not do anything structurally but the chip can be unsettling...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I put mine on cardboard boxes in the garage and let them sit for a week.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Chips happen.

It's just the properties of glass that make them give you that queezy feeling in the pit of your stomach. Even if you knew exactly how it happened, there's just no way to tell if it will cause an issue at some point.

I have 26 tanks running at the moment, and 9 of them came to me used. The biggest is an Oceanic 180G. I have a 29G that must've been 20 years old when I got it (O'Dell) and the silicone looks like somebody took a razor blade to it, and it's been just fine for three years now. Then there's the 90G I bought from someone and a few years after I filled it I saw the bubbles in the silicone seam. That was about 10 years ago. No issues there either. I also crazy-glued the brace on that one. If you read enough stories you'll read about the leakers right of the box.

In short, used tanks don't come with guarantees and even if a new tank leaks, they won't do anything more than replace the tank.

Fill 'er up and let it stand for a week. You'll have your answer. Just pay some special attention to the silicone behind the chip and directly above and below it. If you can see small air pockets in that area, it may have been whacked pretty good and even I would pass on it at that point.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So what's better filling it up for a week, or a couple days?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
split the difference, 3.5 days lol

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'd go the full week. If it didn't have the chip, I'd lean toward the 3.5.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
So what's better filling it up for a week, or a couple days?

Do we detect a wee bit of impatience

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode