Can you have too much light? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
GT3
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can you have too much light?

I hava pico-tank (1 gallon) that is hooked up with a desk lamp (bulb is 23W fluorescent), while on the scale of WPG, this is huge. I wonder if you can have too much light, because my plants are growing and pearling, but not getting tall. There are new leaves here and there, but they seem to stop growing taller. Is too much light a problem? I keep it on for 6 hours a day only.

Also my tank had hair algae last week, i overdosed Excel and it proved successful! All of them are gone, my tank went cloudy after overdosing Excel, not sure if related to mini recycle or the excel overage, but anyhow it became very clear after 2 days. But now because the hair algae are gone, they no longer suck up the excess nutrient in the tank, i am experiencing bloom of green slime algae on the substrate, is there any chemical I can use it to treat this? I don't feed my fish often, only once in 2-3 days, bio-load is medium (6 baby feeder minnows)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If your definition of "too much light" is, as mine is, that amount of light that makes it very difficult to avoid algae blooms, then yes you can have too much light, and you almost certainly do have "too much light". Try a 13 watt CFL bulb and see it that helps.

Hoppy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
GT3
Algae Grower

bump

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

I find that 1 Gal is a bit small for any kind of fish. That aside, a 23w desk lamp is quite a bit of light but its workable without algae issues if you keep the tank clean. I use 23w CFLs on tanks from 1 Gal to 5 gals with good results. Replacing the light with a 13w or 15w bulb could give the same results with less issues to manage however.

To get rid of the slime algae you can search for cures for BGA(blue green algae or cyano bacteria) in the algae forum. You can dose with antibiotics, spot treat with excel or physically remove it amongst other things.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode