What is causing this algae? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is causing this algae?

My dirted 55g tank has been set up for a few months now and I've had this algae for most of it. The green spot algae is new but the slightly fuzzy white algae(might be GHA but it seems a bit to light colored...looks very similar though) has been there for awhile. I have a 3 nerites and a bunch of Malaysian trumpets. Ammonia and nitrate are both low, I am unsure of phosphate. I dose with 2 capfuls of seachem flourish a week(not excel). Tank has 1 inch of dirt capped with 1 inch of pool filter sand. I do a weekly 30-40% water change. Filtration is 1 75g biowheel and one 100gph internal filter to add flow to the other side of the tank. Lighting is 1x finnex ray 2 led. I added some DIY co2 but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Do I have too much lighting? what could be causing my algae problem? The plants are still growing well...

http://imgur.com/a/PxspJ

Last edited by visionist; 08-12-2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
C02 or lack there of is your problem. DIY C02 is very inconsistent especially in a large tank like that. Also low ammonia and nitrite suggest a mini cycle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
C02 or lack there of is your problem. DIY C02 is very inconsistent especially in a large tank like that. Also low ammonia and nitrite suggest a mini cycle.
Tank is most definitely cycled, I just say they are both low since I don't test terribly regularly. Last time I tested ammonia was probably 2 weeks ago and it was 0.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Any other input?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Do you have pictures you could post?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
What size is the tank ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 11:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Could be a lack of CO2, But how long is your lighting cycle? Any sunlight that hits the tank?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Not sure about this part but the appearence of the tank looks as if it's a 75g tank.
That light is too close or if it can be adjusted by a dimmer switch turned down some
or get rid of the slow growing plants. The light being too close is only if the plants are slow growing because their leavers last much longer than faster growing plants and under high light they will accumilate algae of the type you see on them.
Also if there are more than just that one plant leaf which has holes in it you likely don't have enough Potassium in what you are dosing for ferts as usually that is a sign that the plant is actually canibalizing it's older leaves for the Potassium which it needs but is not getting.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
The tank light being on for way to long 7 hours is enough.

FACT: If you do not have a passion for what you do in life, be it your career and/or your hobby you will not be successful. RIP Dad (1/12/12). I love and miss you.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I feel like the spot algae is probably from a little too much light for the co2/ferts. I usually see it go away with some added phosphate, but that's with higher lighting and pressurized co2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- three years old at this point

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2G-2 View Post
Do you have pictures you could post?
The imgur.com link is an album of pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
What size is the tank ?
Tank is a 55g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzavier247 View Post
Could be a lack of CO2, But how long is your lighting cycle? Any sunlight that hits the tank?
No sunlight hits the tank. My lighting cycle is 7 hours.

Would adding floating plants help since I can't hang this light? The scarlet temples are the only plants with holes in it, my big amazon sword has no holes at all. Since the tank is dirted would the scarlets not get enough potassium from the dirt or the flourish?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes but I think mini water lettuce would give less problems than other floating plants.
The regular sticks up rather high. Frog bit has 12-14" roots when mature and doesn't get along/w HOB filters. Regular duckweed is a nightmare to be rid of and I have Giant duckweed so you only have dozens of plants multiplying each day instead of hundreds.
That was working out great till some of the regular found it's way into there from a plant I bought. Now I can't get it out as some always escapes notice and so returns.
You probably aren't low on Potassium.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode