Recommend a good auto- feeder - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Recommend a good auto- feeder

Hi guys:

I'm goin on my honeymoon to Jamaica for 9 days in the end of august

I'll be doing a water change before he trip and putting my lights in timers.
Can anyone recommend a good automatic feeder for my fish while I'm gone.
I have 6 harlequin rasboras, 3-6 galaxy rasboras(don't know for sure, had six but they re super shy and great hiders), four Cory's a zebra and a yoyo loach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Recommend a good auto- feeder

Are you going to want to continue to use the feeder while you are at home? If so I would suggest a good quality feeder that has a connection for an air hose so the food doesn't clump, also a feeder that uses a crock screw style aperture to dispense the food is ideal. If not, get some of those feeder blocks from the fish store, yeah it's not the best thing for your fish to eat but for a couple of dollars you cannot get a better solution.

I have been looking into getting a quality feeder myself, I am looking at the Eheim 3582, Rena 707 and the Life Guard Intelli-feeder.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
Are you going to want to continue to use the feeder while you are at home? If so I would suggest a good quality feeder that has a connection for an air hose so the food doesn't clump, also a feeder that uses a crock screw style aperture to dispense the food is ideal. If not, get some of those feeder blocks from the fish store, yeah it's not the best thing for your fish to eat but for a couple of dollars you cannot get a better solution.

I have been looking into getting a quality feeder myself, I am looking at the Eheim 3582, and the Life Guard Intelli-feeder.
I like feeding them myself when I'm home so this who'll just be a temporary thing. Do you think the blocks would be ok for the Cory's and loaches too?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
I've used blocks in my aquariums several times and have had good luck. My plecos and otos eat on them.

Fish don't have to eat everyday, let alone twice a day, honestly during your 9 day vacation you fish could only eat four time and still be healthy. In the wild most fish are luck to get a single "snack" daily and a meal every couple of days.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
I've used blocks in my aquariums several times and have had good luck. My plecos and otos eat on them.

Fish don't have to eat everyday, let alone twice a day, honestly during your 9 day vacation you fish could only eat four time and still be healthy. In the wild most fish are luck to get a single "snack" daily and a meal every couple of days.
Cool, thanks for the info
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've used EHEIM Everyday Fish Feeder twice while on vacations with no problems. $30 on Amazon. I like it because I can program it to feed twice a day at any time. It works better with Flake than Fry food. I've used it for up to seven days with no problems. No matter what one you get test it a day or two by putting food in it, setting it on the table and then catching the food on a scott towel or something white so you can judge how much it is feeding. It takes a while to get it right and I found it better to have it go around twice each feeding instead of once. Less change for an error. Better to underfeed than overfeed.

The wheel turns.

Last edited by DayOlder; 08-10-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode