Aquariums with live plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquariums with live plants

Hey All: I've made several changes over the past few months with Zeda & Zelda's home. Each change has proven an even better outcome.
I went from gravel, to large rocks, bare bottom to Mapani wood with plants intact. I noticed immediately once I removed the gravel that cleaning was a breeze but the wAter changes were still needed every five days. I added a few more plants and noticed that a full seven days passed without needing a water change. I changed out the water today being day eight because I added more plants to two more caddy's This of course was great news for me. The Mapani gives off a very slight tint which gives the tank a more natural look.
I've had the 30 gallon tank for about two months now and am thinking that it's officially cycled. It started off rough because my oranda had tail rott and ick so I had to interrupt the filtration only to find that raising the temp and aquatic salt worked better...sigh.
The only thing I'm waiting to settle now is the white growth on the Mapani wood. I've found my goldfish eating it. They seem to enjoy it.
I'm wondering if the plants are helping to keep the tank cleaner longer, or would the Mapani aid in this by lowering ph?
I would love to add think it's called dwarf hair grass to my bare bottom tank but I'm not sure if it's possible. I plan to add a few more caddy's with plants but the far left side of the tank is open and clear as a feeding area. I placed rocks around the Mapani because Zelda got stuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I guess part of the discussion might be how you define "cleaner"? If you mean the nitrate will be less, yes the plants will definitely be using some as fertilizer. If you mean the tank looks cleaner, that can be a different thin depending on how the plants are feeling. If they are dropping leaves, things can get messy. The wood may be adding a little bit of debris if it flakes off but that is not a big thing. The goo that the fish are eating is normally a short term thing that causes no harm and goes away when the conditions are not exactly right for it to grow. Just one of nature's small wonders?
Dwarf hair grass in a bare bottom? Needs soil so a tray, etc. may be needed?
Enjoy the ride!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Wishful thinking I guess in relation to the hair grass.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Try some of the mosses. They grow without rooting and in low light levels.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode