New Aquariam Advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Aquariam Advice

This is my first post. So please forgive any mistakes made. I'm currently setting up a 60x26x18 Aquariam. I don't have filtration yet and welcome any recommendations. I'm looking at an Aquatop cf500 UV right now so anything in that price range would be much obliged. I am also looking at running and old coralife energysavers light along with a Satelite 48 freshwater LED for plant growth then upgrading to possibly 2 units. As far as fish go I'm thinking of Apistogramma Cacatuoides, German Blue Rams, Otocinclus Catfish, and wait for it the big one.......DISCUS! I'd love some recommendations about plants for the back ground mid ground and foreground as well as floating plants. So really anything! I'm going to be doing an Eco-Complete substrate with a gravel cap. Help a noob out here please! P.S. I know discus are difficult. I've considered the risk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Welcome Abe!

The fastest way to success is patience.

Best,

Joe
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Joe! I've been using this forum for research material for some time. But I haven't been able to find exactly what I needed to know. So what the heck thought I'd ask myself!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I must say I am not very familiar with discus. There are many on here who are though. I use an Aqueon Proflex #3 for my 90g and am very happy with it. There is a 4 and 5 model as well. Maybe they would be a nice alternative to research.

The fastest way to success is patience.

Best,

Joe
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Discus prefer very warm water. Check all other fish you are thinking about for their tolerance for high temperatures. I do not think Otos are OK.
Rams like it warm. Check Apistos. Not sure about their preferences.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Oto's are very commonly kept with Discus so I assumed they were compatible. I'll look into it further. I talked to a licensed marine pathologist who works in the field about the Apisto's she said they'd be fine. Thanks for the advice!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 09:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

Hi Abe! I'm using a Fluval internal filter that I'm happy with. I used to have an AquaClear 30 hang-on-the-back. I didn't like the waterfall output that caused more surface agitation as the water level went down due to evaporation.

I think a canister filter is probably the most loved, particularly with larger tanks. Haven't used one myself, but you could look at Fluval or Eheim.

Some of the hobby is learned by simple experience, which takes time. It's also helpful to read whatever you can that applies.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe'sAquariam View Post
This is my first post. So please forgive any mistakes made. I'm currently setting up a 60x26x18 Aquariam. I don't have filtration yet and welcome any recommendations. I'm looking at an Aquatop cf500 UV right now so anything in that price range would be much obliged. I am also looking at running and old coralife energysavers light along with a Satelite 48 freshwater LED for plant growth then upgrading to possibly 2 units. As far as fish go I'm thinking of Apistogramma Cacatuoides, German Blue Rams, Otocinclus Catfish, and wait for it the big one.......DISCUS! I'd love some recommendations about plants for the back ground mid ground and foreground as well as floating plants. So really anything! I'm going to be doing an Eco-Complete substrate with a gravel cap. Help a noob out here please! P.S. I know discus are difficult. I've considered the risk.

Welcome mate You've came to the right place for information, everyone here is reeally helpful and you get great advice.

I used to work in a place that stocked a lot of well kept discus, as these guys are big eaters they also produce heaps of waste, a good canister like people have said, Eheim, I personally like AquaManta canister filters - they're easy to start/stop/clean, and do a really good job.

Optimal water quality are the higher temps/right pH (seachem acid buffer works well) so I would get your pH sorted and stable for weeks before discus are added.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

I ran across a Penn-Plax Cascade 1500.. It has great reviews and a nice neat little price tag. Any thoughts?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode