Fish Net Netting ... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Fish Net Netting ...

hey guys ...
im trying to find a source for buying the netting that our handy dandy fish nets are comprised of. when i try to plug in "fish net" or "fish netting" into the search engine i get all kinds of lingerie type stuff if you know what i mean.
i dont mind looking at the pretty pictures but my wife might not buy my story.

anyone ever needed to buy this stuff and found a source?
not saying im looking for it in huge quantities but a little "sheet" of a yard or two x 2ft or 3ft
thanks in advance all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fabric and craft stores would be my first choice.
Around here I would look at stores called Joanns, Hobby Lobby, and even Wal Mart had some fabrics and craft things a while ago. Not sure if they still do.

Google the term tulle and see what comes up.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Diana! - too funny ...
i just replied to your last comment in my previous post / thread. as soon as i get the chance, ill try searching tulle and see what results that yields. thanks again for chiming in.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

"Tulle fabric" will bring up the right stuff.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you have a hobby store, Hobby Lobby or Jo-Ann's Fabrics around there you can pick up a whole roll of that stuff. And if you get it at Hobby Lobby and it is not on sale (they rotate items every week), you can go to their website via smart phone and they have a 40% off coupon on one item.

Last edited by FewestKitten896; 08-08-2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: misspelling
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wedding veil is the common name that I like for tulle. I find it at about a dollar a running yard at Wal-mart. That's a yard long and 60 wide so you can make a lot of stuff with that amount. Handy for lots of things beside the net. To cut the chase down when catching fish I use an eggcrate divider with net over it.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

any pros or cons / any thoughts on using this to fashion a cover for the aquarium?

thats actually what got me to thinking about this stuf in the first place.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It is somewhat hard to work with if sewing. It tends to be easy to hang on the pressure foot and such. Sometimes a special zig-zag stitch is needed to make the seam stronger, depending on the use. For a "manly" way, wrapping it around a strip of screen bead and silicone will make a secure edge. Screen bead is the small strip of wood used to hold screen on wooden screen doors. It should stop most jumpers but I tend to forget it is not solid and try to lay things on it. NOT good! Very cheap as well as easy to put on/off the tank. A dollar and some time will let you have a try? Not a long lasting thing as wedding veils are only meant for one time use.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luky View Post
any pros or cons / any thoughts on using this to fashion a cover for the aquarium?

thats actually what got me to thinking about this stuf in the first place.
Depending on your inhabitants, some fish like catfish (plecos, otos, etc) have tons of tiny spikes all over their rough hide (not a scaled fish) they can jump and get stuck against the stuff (like velcro) and get hurt trying to break free or just cruelly dry out and die inches above the water... many catfish species will periodically break the surface for a gulp of air, not necessarily because water oxygen content is low.. but it would make using that material dangerous.
I can't say how it would effect other fish, but I'd imagine scales could get snagged too...
But this is all speculations, I've not tried using the stuff myself.. though I did (stupidly) try to net otos from quarantine to their main tanks.. one got his face stuck on the netting and I had a hard time getting him loose and not hurting him (they're so tiny!) I grabbed a plastic drinking cup after that to nab the rest.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Can this stuff be used to put lava rock in, as I am looking for something to put lava rock in to build some hills in my new tank. Thanks
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Tulle is pretty weak, it would probably work fine for a smaller net, but I don't know about a whole-tank cover, or a net for larger fish.

You could also try looking for insect/mosquito mesh, it tends to be a bit stronger then tulle. It's a bit harder to find, and probably quite a bit more expensive, but I've run across it in random fabric shops.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 12:04 AM
Algae Grower

This stuff is made specifically for the purpose of aquarium tops - 1/4" clear plastic netting.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/clear-netting-1.html

You could also get bird netting (I think that's what it's called), and just double it up to ensure the holes are small enough to prevent fish-icide. You typically have to buy a huge roll of the stuff, but it's pretty cheap anyways.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

With any of these you can make a frame with window screening materials. Around here, most common is aluminum in any of 3 colors. (White, deep brown, silver- but get whichever you want, and you can spray paint it black or whatever you want)

Test fit the spline (rubbery stuff that you put into the slot in the frame) to be sure it is a snug fit. Most of the materials being discussed are thinner, lighter than window screen fabric, so the spline needs to fit well to hold it.

'Mosquito bar' is the name I have heard for the mesh that is fine enough to stop mosquitoes with a support structure.

Last edited by Diana; 08-09-2014 at 03:10 AM. Reason: *
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

And then if you only want it as a tank topper, nylon window screen in aluminum framing is good, too. The weave is pretty dense to use for nets, though.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks so much for all the suggestions and feedback guys ...
what are youre thoughts on its effectiveness in keeping out the dust and pet hair that might make it up there? i keep forgetting to stress this concern because im always talking about the lighting but it really is another factor. i HAVE seen pet hair make its way up there. when i go feed or clean or make a watyer change - im regularly cleaning them off the top there along with the dust.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode