Mondo Grass - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mondo Grass

I just bought Mondo Grass. Impulse buy. Now I find out it can't grow submerged. I'll try to return it tomorrow. If they don't take them, lawn is where they shall go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 03:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
I've done the same.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 03:41 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
I doubt many here will believe this, but Ive had 3 Mondo grass plants living in a low light 20L for going on 8 months. It doesnt grow or spread, yet it continues to live. My advice is if you like it, or just need the greenery in a certain spot, plant it anyway and see what happens. You can always take it out if it starts dying, or if you get something better to replace it. If I had known mine was going to last as long as it has, I would've kept it as a background in the 10 gallon I was working on at the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That gives me hope but I called the LFS and they said they'll take them back. I'll probably just exchange them for dwarf sag or dwarf hairgrass or something. I just want my 55g done already. I've spent way too much by now lol!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
I doubt many here will believe this, but Ive had 3 Mondo grass plants living in a low light 20L for going on 8 months. It doesnt grow or spread, yet it continues to live. My advice is if you like it, or just need the greenery in a certain spot, plant it anyway and see what happens. You can always take it out if it starts dying, or if you get something better to replace it. If I had known mine was going to last as long as it has, I would've kept it as a background in the 10 gallon I was working on at the time.

Just in case I decide to keep it, what do you have for your plants? Ferts that you use and I'm assuming CO2 is also injected in your tank. Gorgeous set-up, btw!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Planted Tanker

Thanks If you're asking about the Mondo grass, it's in a very low light 20L that houses several anubias, a sword and some crypts that I really have no place for atm. Inhabitants are 4 platies and some ghost shrimp. Substrate is a mixture of sand and small regular aquarium gravel. Light is a single, very old 24" T8 Sylvania Gro-lux (I think) which stays on 24/7 most of the time. I dose it maybe once a month with flourish comp and that's it.

My theory is that these super low conditions are maybe why the grass has lived so long, but that is just pure speculation.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Interesting.... If the low condition is what's making it survive submerged then it might be okay in my tank. I have root tabs that I'm on schedule to change monthly and flourish when I do WC. The light is the LED's that came in the tank. No CO2 either.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Planted Tanker

Cant hurt to try. It's a pretty sexy plant after all, even just sitting there

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My 10 inch clown loach is definitely enjoying plopping himself on the sexy Mondo.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode